Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-12-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
It has nothing to do with being a good employer, it's a smart business move. Try training a new employee every other week and tell me how you are doing from a production stand point. Also how long would you work for someone with a piecemeal schedule? I know for me it wouldn't be long.
well of all the jobs I've worked they've only provided a pay check. they don't give a rats behind what I do with the money or take interest in my financial or personal life.

show up to work when your schedule and collect a pay check at the end of the week. nothing more, nothing less.

I couldnt/wouldn't work for a company that took interest in my financial well being. if I can't work my scheduled hours and collect my check and go home I don't wanna work for you. it's my business whether I can pay my bills or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Would you guarantee your employees a minimum number of hours per week?
Posted via Mobile Device
if I could but no guarantees.

if I decided to expand business and hire employees they would be told up front the hours are there as long as the work is there. no work, no hours. and of course I would do what I could to make sure the work is there but you can't control the weather or force people to hire you.
Old 09-13-2012, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

They provided you with enough money to make a decent living, that is all I was referring to. You are right, this isn't wall street, employees mowing lawns usually don't have retirement plans backed by the company they work for. But that company finds them enough work to have a decent check. After that, what they spend their money on is their business.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
They provided you with enough money to make a decent living, that is all I was referring to. You are right, this isn't wall street, employees mowing lawns usually don't have retirement plans backed by the company they work for. But that company finds them enough work to have a decent check. After that, what they spend their money on is their business.
who said they provided me with enough money to make a decent living.

they paid me the rate they were offering. whether that was enough to support my lifestyle is a matter of opinion.

company's don't decide what to pay there employees based on what they need to make a decent living. they pay what they think is fair and what they can afford.

if I ever expand my business to the point of needing help it's gonna be like this. I have x amount of hours at y per hour. that's as far as the thought process goes. that's as far as most company's take it. none of this, gee do I have enough hours at the correct rate for an employee to support themselves.

it's up to the person applying for the job to decide if they can make a decent living on what's offered, NOT the company hiring.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
who said they provided me with enough money to make a decent living.

they paid me the rate they were offering. whether that was enough to support my lifestyle is a matter of opinion.

company's don't decide what to pay there employees based on what they need to make a decent living. they pay what they think is fair and what they can afford.

if I ever expand my business to the point of needing help it's gonna be like this. I have x amount of hours at y per hour. that's as far as the thought process goes. that's as far as most company's take it. none of this, gee do I have enough hours at the correct rate for an employee to support themselves.

it's up to the person applying for the job to decide if they can make a decent living on what's offered, NOT the company hiring.
Did you work in fast food? If you didn't I'm pretty sure you made more than minimum wage. You also need to decide what that employee is worth, if they bring a good work ethic and knowledge they are worth more than someone without those attributes. Honestly I think you're reading WAY to far into what I'm trying to get across, people work to support a lifestyle, whatever level that may be is up to them, but as an employer it's my job to pay them what they're worth or someone else will.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

so where do you find the good ones so that we can offer them good FAIR pay?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In my last 9 years of this buisiness I usually allways have pretty good help. My guys all work pretty hard for me. I think it's because I work with them all the time and I try to work harder than they do. Being a good owner means being a good leader. Being a leader that works right with there guys will earn great respect from the crew. It's hard to keep guys morale up about everything. I would allways get butt hurt about my guys personal problems and there financial problems that it would make me constantly think about my guys too much. Most of the guys that worked for me are working towards something better personally. I want career guys but thats tough to find guys to want to stick around for a career. I take it 1 year at a time now, and try to build a good team each year until the wintertime shows and it starts fresh over in the spring. If my guys want to come back next year I'm thankful. I agree alot of younger employees have a backwards attitude about work. There negative alot, there money problems are allways your fault, and they don't want to work more than 40hrs a week. Alot of guys that do landscaping spend there entire weeks pay on cigarettes, beer, food, energy drinks, then there broke by next paycheck and the sad part is they probaly live at home with there parents also. Best advice to anyone with employees are to treat them with respect, try to pay them good if you can afford it, also thank them from time to time and buy them a luch every week once or twice, it goes along way. If you do a little extra for them it will go along way. If that doesn't work just get rid of them and start over.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Did you work in fast food? If you didn't I'm pretty sure you made more than minimum wage. You also need to decide what that employee is worth, if they bring a good work ethic and knowledge they are worth more than someone without those attributes. Honestly I think you're reading WAY to far into what I'm trying to get across, people work to support a lifestyle, whatever level that may be is up to them, but as an employer it's my job to pay them what they're worth or someone else will.
you make a good point but I too feel your reading way too much into what employers responsibilities.

employers have hours they need employees to work and pay them either min wage or what they feel they are worth and can afford. end of employers thought process.

they don't loose a seconds sleep over whether there employees are "making it" in life. there ONLY concern is that they show up for work when schedule and do quality work at there job.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Michael Dell'Aera has no issues.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
you make a good point but I too feel your reading way too much into what employers responsibilities.

employers have hours they need employees to work and pay them either min wage or what they feel they are worth and can afford. end of employers thought process.

they don't loose a seconds sleep over whether there employees are "making it" in life. there ONLY concern is that they show up for work when schedule and do quality work at there job.
Utterly Incorrect.. a good company/employer is one who cares about its employees.. care for and cultivate.. give them the opportunity and "want" to grow with your company.. happy employees makes happy customers.. no you can't decide what they spend their money on but you as the employer have to give your employees some morals and values to live by.. both on the clock and off.. you won't be a successful employer with your attitude.. sorry dude! your philosophy teaches your employees to show up for work, do the bare minimum job to make the $ they need to and go home..
Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlcare2 View Post
Utterly Incorrect.. a good company/employer is one who cares about its employees.. care for and cultivate.. give them the opportunity and "want" to grow with your company.. happy employees makes happy customers.. no you can't decide what they spend their money on but you as the employer have to give your employees some morals and values to live by.. both on the clock and off.. you won't be a successful employer with your attitude.. sorry dude! your philosophy teaches your employees to show up for work, do the bare minimum job to make the $ they need to and go home..
the best kind of job in the world if you ask me.

I'm not saying my current work ethic is that way because it isn't but I've had a few job where all I did was show up, do the bare min to keep my job and go home. those were some of the best years of my life. I got paid decent and when I wasn't working I was home playing video games, watching movies, surfing the web, etc.

maybe I wouldn't make a good employer but I really don't see it as an employers responsibility to teach an employee anything outside the scope of the job they are hired to do.

the last thing I want is an employer nosing around in my personal life trying to teach me something I don't need for the job they hired me for. I wanna show up, do my work, collect my check and go home. I don't work because I want to, I work because I have to.