Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-25-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Perfect Lawn

I was just thinking about the idea, that what we are all working toward, is the perfect lawn... the things that we do should have the long term benefits of what the perfect lawn should be...

I imagine the the perfect lawn would soak up the water quickly and easily, allowing it to reach the depths of the root zone without creating anaerobic conditions in the process... soon after the drenching the crowns and blades dry easily yet maintain a healthy turgor... a little bit of N keeps a great color and there is no worry about weeds finding its way into the turf...

What other characteristics would we expect to find in The Perfect Lawn???
Old 07-26-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It should be mature.

Although I still really have no idea what that means, but it sounds really cool.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There's no motive to build a healthy stand of self-sufficient independant turf, becuz the money is in the unhealthy dependant turf...

We claim to follow scientific understanding of botanical principles, yet when the extension offices recommend holding off N apps until late Spring,,, the lawnboys are out dumping NPK w/pre-M even before the first mowing...

Lawnboys need money, not an understanding of horticultural principles as defined by horticultural researchers... so I'm assuming that lawnboys do not understand what I'm saying most of the time for that reason... instead they jump on the bandwagon with snide remarks that detract from intelligent conversation, because it is outside their ability to understand... they alway win and its started already so this thread is over, as far as I'm concerned...
Old 07-26-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
There's no motive to build a healthy stand of self-sufficient independant turf, becuz the money is in the unhealthy dependant turf...

We claim to follow scientific understanding of botanical principles, yet when the extension offices recommend holding off N apps until late Spring,,, the lawnboys are out dumping NPK w/pre-M even before the first mowing...

Lawnboys need money, not an understanding of horticultural principles as defined by horticultural researchers... so I'm assuming that lawnboys do not understand what I'm saying most of the time for that reason... instead they jump on the bandwagon with snide remarks that detract from intelligent conversation, because it is outside their ability to understand... they alway win and its started already so this thread is over, as far as I'm concerned...
And the condescending saga continues...

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Oh, now I see it clearly.

Funny thing is, you really have no idea how many of us operate or who we are or how we manage turf. And it is obvious from your superior attitude that you don't want to, either. You have everyone else figured out without knowing a thing about them. Nice.

Then again, with that superior attitude, you spew bovine excrement that makes as little sense as what you are accusing others of doing without knowing how they operate.

So do tell, (even though you're done with this thread which is a recurring theme when you get called on your bovine excrement) how do I treat lawns incorrectly? How am I creating unhealthy turf? Please scour my posts and explain to me how I am one of those lawnboys.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Pay no attention to your naysayers, but please tell us how you build a stand of self-sufficient independent turf.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-26-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Pay no attention to your naysayers, but please tell us how you build a stand of self-sufficient independent turf.
I already answered, a hayfield, or prairie.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Member

First, define what healthy turf is. What does it look like? How much does it grow?

Can an acceptable turf be grown with little to no inputs that will meet customer expectations? What are your customers expectations?

My home lawn is centipede. It hasn't't been fertilized in 6 years. No irrigation. It would not be considered a perfect lawn by a lot of people,but it is acceptable to me. My neighbor mows,waters,fertilizes continuously. When my lawn receives sufficient water, it looks as good or better than his.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to ask, are you going to school somewhere for this industry. I feel you have a lot of knowledge but you post random things on here like you just learned it to make yourself feel big and smart.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

a perfect lawn does not exist.