Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Very simple with Tiff 419 just mow every 4 to 5 days vertical and then horizontal each time at 1.0 to 1.5 inches, apply at twice the rate Milogranite every 4 weeks, preemergents 3 times a year and water as needed. Will look like a golf course fairway mine does.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
I'm a firm believer that organic based Fertilizers work awesome. I've seen them in action and I actually use one during the season. However, I'm not fully behind the Organic based weed control (Corn Gluten), Organic based Insect control (Garlic Barrier), and the Organic based Grub Control (Milky Spore). I've seen them in action first hand and it's something that I'm not impressed with. I've also sat through multiple classes over the years that were put on by U-Mass Amherst and Pat Vittum, Randy Prostek, and others and they're all in agreement that while those products may work somewhat, they won't work much to meet your customer's expectations.

I'm not against Organic controls, it's just that I don't see them living up to my expectations in trying to create a beautiful lawn (with the exception of the Organic based fertilizers).
We offer three options: organic, natural and natural based IPM. Attempting to substitute organic products with chemical products without instituting sound cultural methods will lead to undesirable results.

Corn Gluten when applied properly in the spring, followed by mowing high, proper irrigation and fall seeding works well. I don't see a use for Garlic Barrier in turf applications. There are other organic products which work well for insect control. Milky Spore takes a long time to be effective against Jap Beetle larva, but do not control other white grub species. Again there are other organic products which work well on grubs.

We have found that once organic matter and sound cultural methods have been in place for a year, the need for disease and insect controls decreases substantially.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
So, you're only fertilizing one time per season at 2.5lbs. per 1,000 sq. ft.? What kind of product are you using?
Slow release.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Slow release.
How much slow release? What's the product of choice? My two Dimension applications are 30% slow release, my Allectus application is 40% slow release, and my winterizer is 75% slow release.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mark,

Any more info on your product of choice? Name, analysis, etc?
Old 07-31-2012, 06:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Mark,

Any more info on your product of choice? Name, analysis, etc?
One-Ap......

It's been discussed here several times.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
One-Ap......

It's been discussed here several times.
Mark,

I'm not going on a treasure hunt to find out what product you're using. I don't know why you have to be so elusive. If you're trying to pursuade people to try your program, you haven't done a great job and if you don't want people to know what you're using, why even post? I guess that if you're happy with fertilizing one time per season and can produce a magazine quality lawn by doing so, that's all that matters. I'll choose to stick with my program as I know it works well.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Mark,

I'm not going on a treasure hunt to find out what product you're using. I don't know why you have to be so elusive. If you're trying to pursuade people to try your program, you haven't done a great job and if you don't want people to know what you're using, why even post? I guess that if you're happy with fertilizing one time per season and can produce a magazine quality lawn by doing so, that's all that matters. I'll choose to stick with my program as I know it works well.
http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?searchid=7155891

Or Spread it and Forget It. Agrium products. Didn't think doing a search was too much to ask.

I was making a point that if you are applying fert every 6 weeks, you aren't using slow release. It might be slower than 46-0-0, but it isn't true slow release.
Old 07-31-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Once a season fertlizer????? That one is so funny I almost spit coke zero on my screen! No such thing---does not exist. Maybe up North where the growing season is 60 days but in the South not a chance..
Old 07-31-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Busa, Just because you don't do it doesn't mean it's impossible. You might be suprised at how little fert is applied at a lot of sod farms. If sod can be grown in from ribbons with 2-3 lbs of N, shouldn't we be able to maintain it with less?