Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How to make a profit off a landscaping job?

So I got my first landscaping job yesterday and I was wondering if y'all could tell me where do I make a profit. I saw on here somewhere somebody said to take the bag cost and double it and that's the profit but is there any thing else?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Make more money than you spend doing the job. Include fair wages for yourself in the cost estimates. Anything left over is Profit.

I break down most of my overhead ( equipment, shop, adverstisement....) into an hourly rate, add my wages + wage burden. This makes my hourly rate.
I look at the time to do the job by these figures, add direct job cost. If I generated more then I made a profit.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades Lawn Maintenance View Post
So I got my first landscaping job yesterday and I was wondering if y'all could tell me where do I make a profit. I saw on here somewhere somebody said to take the bag cost and double it and that's the profit but is there any thing else?
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you really asking this question? If you don't know how to make profit then why are you in business? Everything is time and materials. Know your numbers. When you say "landscaping" what exactly are you talking about?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Are you really asking this question? If you don't know how to make profit then why are you in business? Everything is time and materials. Know your numbers. When you say "landscaping" what exactly are you talking about?

Wow thanks for the encouragement. Your right I am in the wrong busieness. Im just gonna quit right now. I know how to make a profit off cutting grass but as i said this is my FIRST landscaping job.....

All jokes aside I mean I'm redoing a flower bed. New mulch is being brought in. 3 plants are Being taking out and are being replaced by other ones. I'm am getting the beds ready in a couple weeks ( you know removing the old mulch, weeds, plants that are not wanted)... When u say everything is time, I already have the labor cost for the job I was just trying to see if anybody charges for anything else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cost of materials + markup, cost of your labor, fuel, etc. (Aka Overhead) + a lil profit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Cost of materials + markup, cost of your labor, fuel, etc. (Aka Overhead) + a lil profit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mark all materials up. I get nice landscaper discounts and I basically charge customers the retail price (aka sticker price). Usually the amount I make on the plants is a healthy enough profit.
Budget for more time than you think it will take.
Always over budget instead of underbudgeting.
Mike
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Don't forget the estimate time. Pens. Office material. Drive time to n from. Load unload time. Truck mileage. Insurance cost for the day or hour. Bottom line everything needs to be accounted for. Live n learn
Old 07-28-2012, 02:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Why are you removing the old mulch? Is it really thick? Usually we just mulch over the stop of the old.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis.landscape View Post
Why are you removing the old mulch? Is it really thick? Usually we just mulch over the stop of the old.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well the guy just moved back into his old house and his brother stayed in there before him. His brother put pine straw in the flower beds and the guy I cut for wants red mulch.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...