Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Help needed...... put down new bermuda sod..... color does NOT match old bermudagrass

Approximately 2 months ago I put down a pretty good sized section of bermudagrass sod(approximately 10' x 60')

Problem.....

New grass..... very bright and light colored.

Old grass..... much darker shade of green.

The new grass grows a lot faster than the old grass.

I thought that by now the new grass would be similar in color to the old grass. But it is not.

Is there any way to fix this?

Here are some pics(a big photo and also a close up).

Thanks!

TC

and here is a close up pic

Old 07-26-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You probably got a different type...there are many types of Bermuda sod.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree engineer.
Bermuda in the past was Tif-green, tif-blue, tif-dwarf,etc. Each cultivar has its own characteristics, texture,color density...........whatever.
If a particular grass sod was installed a few years earlier and even a couple years prior, the grower may have changed his cultivar. Some grass was started from seed and then sod installed adjacent to it after a while.
At a commercial business, the Chief Assistant keeps inquiring about the difference in texture of their front lawn after the fertilizers and watering. One species is Tifway-419 and the other is Tipton......I believe!! No two is the same unless you purchase, install from the same cut area. Most people will purchase the sod at different times not knowing where the supplier is receiving it from. They often will get it where it is the cheapest and not always the same in species.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've have also heard that hybrid Bermuda if not cared for properly will revert back to something similar to common Bermuda...I don't know if there is any truth to this or not.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Grass that come's from a sod farm has been fertilized and watered to the max so they can turn those field's over. Almost all of the bermuda sod i have installed has a different color when new, give it 4-6 month's, those color's will even out.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Grass that come's from a sod farm has been fertilized and watered to the max so they can turn those field's over. Almost all of the bermuda sod i have installed has a different color when new, give it 4-6 month's, those color's will even out.
I can agree somewhat, but dudes sod is clearly lighter color green which to me looks like a good candidate for and iron application.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not knocking the OP, but why would someone remove that bed and install sod all the way to the house foundation?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Not knocking the OP, but why would someone remove that bed and install sod all the way to the house foundation?
Is this bad? If so, can you please educate me on the reason(s) why? Thanks.

Also, at this point, the comments above from the poster agrostis seem to be making good sense. The color of the new grass still does not match the old grass....... but it IS getting closer(updated photo posted below).

I am guessing that the sod company which sold me the new bermudagrass had fertilized it to the maximum extreme possible so that they could get the product out their door faster. Evidently, when grass is growing super fast then it tends to be a lighter shade of green until it matures.

I will post another update in a month or two, just in case anyone is interested in seeing the progression of the new grass.

Thanks!

TC

Old 08-17-2012, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It not bad to put it all the way against house if you like it that way, normally some sort of bed seperates house from turf that contains plants. I think grass against house looks bad.
Posted via Mobile Device