Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-28-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought those tire looked on the short side. I'm gathering your trailer is more narrow than 7.4 ft... Very distintive trailer though. Also, are there linkage between the axles? Can't really tell from the pics.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's a rather blurry pic from the underside (best i can find for now). I didn't measure the outsides but i'm guessing it's around 7ft wide. You can get bigger tires as an option but that didn't seem necessary to me since i don't have to go off the road with this trailer and the trailer is very stable with this wheels.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The widest we can go without special trip permits and overdosed load signs is 8.5 feet wide. There is no difference in commercial lisense or not.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Over here a truck/tractor trailer i allowed to be a little wider but i wouldnt know the exact dimensions. I first wanted to buy an enclosed trailer of this size for the advertising space, but at the end i bought this one so i could load a mini excavator. What do you guys buy the most? Open or enclosed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belgium View Post
The brand is ifor williams, it's an irish manufacturer. What makes them so special (for our market, don't know how it is over there) is that they are the only one who make trailers with a torsion bar and leaf springs for smoother driving. All the other brands only have torsion bars which makes them a lot more jumpier to drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
You speak of a smooth ride with leaf springs. I have double torsion drop axles (rated 5200 lbs each) with 15" tires for a lower ride height (although 16" tires would have given me much more replacement options) each with brakes on my 15.5 foot open trailer. The advantage of torsion axles are no linkage (thus no future maintenance on those) along with being each wheel acts independently (independent suspension) leading to a very smooth ride/trailering.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

This one also has torsion axles and leaf springs. The lpw ride height of this one is something i like too. I wouldn't know how your trailers drive but everyone who drives a trailer on a daily basis over here dreams of this brand :-) because it drives so smooth. Each wheel on this trailer has drum brakes too
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The website for Ifor williams --> http://www.iwt.co.uk/index

They responded to my e-mail today

Belgium, most trailers here in America are well behind European technology in many ways. By the looks of their products they have covered most bases so you actually get a robust product. It is true that you do get what you pay for.
An equivalent 9 thousand dollar trailer here wouldn't get you even half the engineering and manufacturing processes that was put into your trailer. It is quite depressing when you really look at it. The USA is ALL ABOUT PROFIT and marketing lies to make you think you are getting what you pay for.
I've been to numerous countries in Europe and tried many types of equipment and driven many a vehicles. Just for an example, Scania, Man,Mercedes,Iveco, Volvo and Renault Trucks and semis are so far ahead of American manufacturers it literally makes me sick to think about how bad our engineering is in our Freightliners, Macs, Kenworths, Internationals, Peterbuilts and Sterlings.

If I can get an IWT trailer shipped here I will absolutely contemplate it. Better to have quality and all the odds and ends included than to pay 4k to 7k for a half a$$ed so so American made trailer.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Looks like Aluminum--slick setup--and light!

I saw several aluminum trailers a little like this one in southern Indiana a few years back--will see if I can find the photos and manufaturer--

featherlight makes some aluminum trailers-but they are pretty pricey!
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 07-31-2012, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks a lot guys, really appreciate the compliments. But i do like your trailers and trucks too. My dream combination would be a ford f-250 with enclosed gooseneck trailer and a goosenevk dump tailer but for now that's way too expensive over here. But you american's also have great ideas, for example: my dad's '87 pontiac bonneville was the first car over here which came standard with an automatic airconditioning. Things like (adaptive) cruise control, abs and such are all your inventions. Not to mention those great zero-turn mowers you guys produce And you really build good quality material for a way lower price than it would cost here (at least for the cars and the mowers, the rest i don't know). But i have to admit, this trailer is very well built (in my opinion).
The trailer is built in galvanised steel although some parts like the floor are aluminium
Posted via Mobile Device