Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2012, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Lots of good input, but I don't think we have a winner yet. This is close to 100 acres and mulching is not an option. I have included a pic for everyone to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Like I said, there is only about 16" to 20" (max) of clearance at the lowest point of the fixed angle panel and I need to get back under the panel about 3 feet or so. I haven't found a rotary mower with that kind of clearance, height wise. Not to mention that the soil is not perfectly level and any little bump could throw it up into the panel.

The only thing that I have been able to come up with is a sickle bar mower (very old school) on the back of a tractor and a rear discharge belly mower underneath. This would allow one pass and cover most of the area.

Down the middle is the easy part. It's getting under the panels, especially the lower side, that's tricky. Not to mention the wires that connect each panel to the next. You can see them if you look closely. They are dangling just enough to be a pain.

Take a look at the pic and see if you can suggest something else that may work.
Attached Images

Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's intense... nearly 100 acres of that?
Old 07-27-2012, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desii View Post
Lots of good input, but I don't think we have a winner yet. This is close to 100 acres and mulching is not an option. I have included a pic for everyone to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Like I said, there is only about 16" to 20" (max) of clearance at the lowest point of the fixed angle panel and I need to get back under the panel about 3 feet or so. I haven't found a rotary mower with that kind of clearance, height wise. Not to mention that the soil is not perfectly level and any little bump could throw it up into the panel.

The only thing that I have been able to come up with is a sickle bar mower (very old school) on the back of a tractor and a rear discharge belly mower underneath. This would allow one pass and cover most of the area.

Down the middle is the easy part. It's getting under the panels, especially the lower side, that's tricky. Not to mention the wires that connect each panel to the next. You can see them if you look closely. They are dangling just enough to be a pain.

Take a look at the pic and see if you can suggest something else that may work.
The problem with a rear discharge mower is that the discharge doesn't just come straight out the rear of the deck...it comes out at a lot of different angles.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Mow the middles with a rear discharge zero turn, get the rest with roundup and soil sterilant. That's the only feasible way I would see to do it.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 07-27-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPiUWhNUz7M

or one like this

http://www.skidsteersolutions.com/Sk...r_p/sb-108.htm

What about a sickle bar mowers like that. The only problem is it leaves it whole an doesnt mulch it.

If it was me I would go in with a skid steer mounted offset sickle bar then do the center with a flail mower. I know brushhound makes a good flail that doesnt kick much up its got alot of guarding on it witch is nice.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

have 1 guy on a stand on or wb to do under everything and one guy on the z-turn or other stand on to do the rest.. or just cit sprinkler lines so the grass dries up and dump roundup all over the place

Website
Like our Facebook Page!
Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55
John Deere
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Kawasaki KHDS600A
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 07-28-2012, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

100 acres of that! Looks like the solar farm just needs to put a person or 2 on payroll to maintain that! Unless they got the money to pay (make it profitable) for a LCO. To much of an obstacle course. Does look like alot of liability there for LCO!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 11:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

somewhere on the internet (i can't find it) there is a video of a very powerful) walk behind tractor that has a sickel mower attachment on it. this guy was cutting hay with probably a 15' bar and was just flying. it is blue and has metal wheels, I actually saw the units at GIE expo but can't remember the name. this would be a great spot for one of those
Old 07-28-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

also a few of the radio controlled mowers that are being marketed on LS would be pretty good for getting under those short areas
Old 07-28-2012, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonV View Post
somewhere on the internet (i can't find it) there is a video of a very powerful) walk behind tractor that has a sickel mower attachment on it. this guy was cutting hay with probably a 15' bar and was just flying. it is blue and has metal wheels, I actually saw the units at GIE expo but can't remember the name. this would be a great spot for one of those
Good call! I believe the brand on those is BCS.

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000

Tags
mowing , mowing ideas , solar