Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-27-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Socket-Bulb Problem

I have mostly been installing Volt fixtures for the past couple of years and have been having problems with the path light bi-pins that they sell with them. I recently went to a job that had only 5 path lights we installed a month ago and all were out. I tapped the bulb and they all came on. They are pregreased...although not very well by manufacturer but what else could the problem be? I also tried Halxogen 10K hr bi pins from my local dealer and had the same problem with those also. Thinking about trying a bulb with a thicker pin like the G6.35.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem with different manufacturer's supplied lamps. I no longer use those cheap halogen lamps.
Try G4 Xenon lamps and get yourself a tube of NovaGard G624 Dielectric Silicone Compound for your sockets as some of the "pre-greased" never have an ample amount.
Since switching lamps I have had very very few failures.
Good Luck!
Old 07-27-2012, 04:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, Keith is right on with this. The cheapo's will just cause a service call for you. The Unique Astrobrites are the ones I use but are simply a xelogen or Xenon lamp. They are much more stable and will last a good 5,000-7,000 under proper voltage.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 07-27-2012, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lite4 View Post
Yeah, Keith is right on with this. The cheapo's will just cause a service call for you. The Unique Astrobrites are the ones I use but are simply a xelogen or Xenon lamp. They are much more stable and will last a good 5,000-7,000 under proper voltage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 02:09 AM
Sponsor

Rainman,
You might have trouble going with a G6.35. Not only are the pins thicker, but they are further apart. The spacing between the pins is what makes the distinction between the two bases.

Might I suggest that you also give the Illumicare G4 19MM a try. We have designed this lamp with thicker pins, specifically to address similar problems that we have seen.

Best of luck

John Higo

Providing you with the best outdoor LED lamps
designed for the Landscape Lighting Industry.

http://www.illumicaregroup.com/
Old 07-28-2012, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

For some reason my post didnt go through from my phone. But what I said was the bulbs are not burning out. There just seems to be a socket-bulb connection problem. If remove the bulb or move it side to side it will come back on and stay on...for a few more weeks then I can do that again. Thats why Im thinking of a thicker pin.

I recently did a complete lamp change out on a OLP installed job and noticed they use the 6.35 lamps and the socket looked the same as any other bi-pin socket.

My distributor used to order unique lights with bulbs and I never had problems with astro brites. But now they stock another HalXogen 10K hr bulb which seem better but have the same problem once in a while. For some reason they wont get astrobrites. Where can I get them?
Old 07-28-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman7 View Post
For some reason my post didnt go through from my phone. But what I said was the bulbs are not burning out. There just seems to be a socket-bulb connection problem. If remove the bulb or move it side to side it will come back on and stay on...for a few more weeks then I can do that again. Thats why Im thinking of a thicker pin.

I recently did a complete lamp change out on a OLP installed job and noticed they use the 6.35 lamps and the socket looked the same as any other bi-pin socket.

My distributor used to order unique lights with bulbs and I never had problems with astro brites. But now they stock another HalXogen 10K hr bulb which seem better but have the same problem once in a while. For some reason they wont get astrobrites. Where can I get them?
Are those the halco series? If so ive used a bunch over the years with no problems.

Maybe the problem.is the sockets that whatever company is using. Or all that grease is drying up.in the socket and locking up.the springs that hold the pins in place
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2012, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Volt Fixtures
Old 07-28-2012, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klkanders View Post
I had the same problem with different manufacturer's supplied lamps. I no longer use those cheap halogen lamps.
Try G4 Xenon lamps and get yourself a tube of NovaGard G624 Dielectric Silicone Compound for your sockets as some of the "pre-greased" never have an ample amount.
Since switching lamps I have had very very few failures.
Good Luck!
Which Brand G4 Xenon bulbs you use?
Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman7 View Post

I understand what you are saying. I have had that happen as well. The problem however is that you go back (which costs you money) and do this couple more times then it will no longer work when you jiggle or reset the lamp. Now you have to spend more money and replace 1 or more. And if you replace with same lamp be ready to come back yet again and again.
From what I have heard others say the filaments in the cheaper lamps are thinner or weaker causing them to attach and detach during operation then fail completely in a short period of time. I have had the G6 lamps do the exact same. Double the headache and cost. Can't tell you how many bad G4's I have replaced with bad G6's. Live and learn. Don't do it.

I have had good luck with Unique Atro's as well as Bulbrite (buylighting.com). I would guess any distributor that sells Unique could order you Astro's if they did not stock them. Any other questions let me know.