Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Best way to raise a ZTR to get under the deck?

Well, it looks like I'm going to have to mow my acreage when it's wet because it just won't stop raining for a minute here, so I know I'm going to get a big buildup under the deck and I'll want to take care of it while it's still fresh. So what's the best way to do it? I know they make a nice (expensive) lift, but what's the best lo-tech method? Or, if you insist, what's the best lift? I should mention it's a 61" deck.

Last edited by sprinter; 06-05-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use car ramps. Not a lot of clearance, but I can get the job done. Most of the pros drive up their trailer ramps with one caster wheel hanging free. Do their thing, then drive on the other side of the trailer. One of my buddies uses a chain hoist at his chicken operation.

MoJack EZ seems like the smartest way.

http://www.themojack.com/products/mo...mojack-ez.aspx

I'm just too poor!
Old 06-05-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive seen alot of methods...driving up the trailer ramp, using a floor jack in the middle of the front support, car ramps... Personally i broke down and bought a mojack xt! By far one of the best investments ive made yet! Wish it stored a little easier but mine stays set up all the time as i mow commercial and need to get to it as quick as possible. Very very easy to use and makes cleaning/changing blades a breeze. I highly reccomend this product and wouldnt go any smaller than the xt for your size mower sprinter. I paid like 280 or so at big R near me. But after i bought it i just bought a kubota zd326 which has the built in jack system lol but i can still use it for my other mowers i guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay, so the MoJack is the smart way, but MS is too poor and I'm not smart, although if I needed it professionally, it would be the way to go I guess. I'm thinking of rigging a chain hoist to my garage. You can get a 1-ton for about $40 and could be used for other things too. May have to fashion something to safely hook onto the mower's front end, though. Anyone see any problems doing it that way?
Old 06-05-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nope. Father in law does it that way
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah, I think I'll wrap a tow strap around the caster mounts and lift it that way. I can mount the hoist to the garage door header with a big eye bolt. All I have to buy is this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=280609746158.Thanks for letting me think this out with you.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nowhere to get one locally?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2012, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltech View Post
Nowhere to get one locally?
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL. The only thing local around here is eggs. For us the hardware store is a brown truck and we're lucky to have it.

I could order one from HD or Amazon or even Harbor Freight, but that one seemed to be the best deal shipped and no sales tax. At this price they all look exactly the same and probably all come from the same maker in China but they do get good enough reviews. It's okay. I can jack it up with a scissors jack this time and crawl. I could use my comealong, but I don't really want to lift overhead with one.

It now costs $13 in gas alone to go to Chehalis (small town) or $28 to Olympia with Costco, etc. Crazy. Funny, for me it used to be that time was money. Now gas is money. Distances are now measured in dollars. We are now at about $4.30/gal. Even the gas station is $8 away if you had to made a special trip. However, it forces us to plan our trips to town and we actually spend way less on gas now than we did before. Anyway, it's so nice out here, we never really want to leave, so we don't complain, even about the rain. Much.

Still raining.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Send some of that rain my way! Im going to be skipping customers next week i believe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-05-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

find a water hole and let the blades suck water it will clean the deck
or pull up on trailer ramp with half of the mower clean one side then pull up on the other side clean other side