Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Get a roller to replace the front casters on the Tru-Cut.
If any provision of this post is, for any reason, held to be invalid, incorrect, or indefensible, the other provisions of this post will be unimpaired and the invalid, incorrect, or indefensible provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid, correct, and defensible to the maximum extent permitted by law.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
Get a roller to replace the front casters on the Tru-Cut.
Call this guy for the roller...he makes and sells them 15 minutes from my house. If you see a roller on trucut, mcclane or trimmer there's a 90% chance he made it.

Reel Works
www.reelrollers.com
(706) 654-5455
1399 Ednaville Road
Braselton‎ GA‎ 30517-2342
United States
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2012, 09:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
If your willing to invest the money, buy a muryama landscape blade. It is a reel on a stick. String trimmers on sports turf should be a no-no.
Posted via Mobile Device
Other than possibly the price, is there any reason for a homeowner not to get one of these? Are they easy to use? More dangerouse than a string trimmer (they look pretty mean)? I have some landscape beds that have stacked, loose (not concreted together) flagstone "edging" about 8" tall. What happens if the landscape blade hits the flagstone (a lot) when trimming up against them? I guess the blade probably isn't too good for going up against irregular surfaces like that...right?

Is Kawasaki's Twin TurboBlade just as good? There are several nearby Kawasaki dealers.

A string trimmer, together with my inability to use it well, sure does a lot of damage to my lawn.
If any provision of this post is, for any reason, held to be invalid, incorrect, or indefensible, the other provisions of this post will be unimpaired and the invalid, incorrect, or indefensible provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid, correct, and defensible to the maximum extent permitted by law.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post
Other than possibly the price, is there any reason for a homeowner not to get one of these? Are they easy to use? More dangerouse than a string trimmer (they look pretty mean)? I have some landscape beds that have stacked, loose (not concreted together) flagstone "edging" about 8" tall. What happens if the landscape blade hits the flagstone (a lot) when trimming up against them? I guess the blade probably isn't too good for going up against irregular surfaces like that...right?

Is Kawasaki's Twin TurboBlade just as good? There are several nearby Kawasaki dealers.

A string trimmer, together with my inability to use it well, sure does a lot of damage to my lawn.
There is no reason you shouldn't be using this on sports turf. It takes a little while to get used to, but once you do it's cake. You can't really hit it against hard structures as it will dull the blade, but you can tap it a little. It is a great piece to own and use on sports turf. Kawi and muryama are the same company do I'm sure they both work well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Yup, like I said, they value thier customers. Talk to Jeff who does the reels, guy knows his stuff.
Posted via Mobile Device
While riding around Martin and parts of St Lucie Counties today on errands I stopped into 4 lawnmower shops to inquire about a walk behind reel. I guess these guys are independently wealthy already. In 3 shops I wasn't even acknowledged when I walked in and started looking around even though I was the only customer in the building. As a curiosity when I visited the third shop I started looking at the most expensive mowers in the place as well as some high dollar trimmers, again no response. Hell, the kids working in Best Buy are more customer oriented than these lawnmower business guys. At the fourth shop I stopped by at least guy behind the counter asked if he could help after I sat on a $10,000 mower to try out the feel just to see if he would respond.
Customer service sucks in these parts. I wouldn't buy a mower from any of them because I figure the service after the sale will even be worse.
I am off to Bim's Thrusday.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbpow View Post
While riding around Martin and parts of St Lucie Counties today on errands I stopped into 4 lawnmower shops to inquire about a walk behind reel. I guess these guys are independently wealthy already. In 3 shops I wasn't even acknowledged when I walked in and started looking around even though I was the only customer in the building. As a curiosity when I visited the third shop I started looking at the most expensive mowers in the place as well as some high dollar trimmers, again no response. Hell, the kids working in Best Buy are more customer oriented than these lawnmower business guys. At the fourth shop I stopped by at least guy behind the counter asked if he could help after I sat on a $10,000 mower to try out the feel just to see if he would respond.
Customer service sucks in these parts. I wouldn't buy a mower from any of them because I figure the service after the sale will even be worse.
I am off to Bim's Thrusday.
Trust me, not much better round here. The only 2 shops I feel like my business has been appreciated and the customer service is great is Uncle Bims, and Green Thumb. The rest, forget it. I have a friend who brought a mower to a local shop that supposedly fixed his mower three times. They jerked him around until he just told them if you don't get it right this time, that's it. Most shops suck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Trust me, not much better round here. The only 2 shops I feel like my business has been appreciated and the customer service is great is Uncle Bims, and Green Thumb. The rest, forget it. I have a friend who brought a mower to a local shop that supposedly fixed his mower three times. They jerked him around until he just told them if you don't get it right this time, that's it. Most shops suck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Seems like a business opportunity is out there to me.
Believe me I was thinking about that today.In three counties with some of the most lucrative markets in the continental USA there are only two shops that are worth a damn? Hmmm.
Good service during and after the sale could blow these other guys away.
My guess is Uncle Bim and Green Thumb aren't going broke providing service and being decent folks.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Finally made it down to Uncle Bim's today and it was well worth the drive, heck it was worth twice the drive. What nice people and they were full of information without a big sales push. I got a Tru Cut with a roller and a Honda engine. [I need to call them about the caster wheels they took off as the roller was an option I wanted. Might want to use the wheels later.]
They were very helpful and spent a lot of time with me discussing the proper operation and maintenance of the mower. They were surprised a little that I wanted to be able to cut at 1.75 inches but I told them Diamond said it worked well so I'd go with that. I can always cut lower later.
What nice folks. It is good to know there are still people like them in the business, it restores faith in the small businessman in Florida. Sadly, they are the exception but they have my recommendation for anyone in South Florida looking for a top of the line mower or trimmer.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbpow View Post
Finally made it down to Uncle Bim's today and it was well worth the drive, heck it was worth twice the drive. What nice people and they were full of information without a big sales push. I got a Tru Cut with a roller and a Honda engine. [I need to call them about the caster wheels they took off as the roller was an option I wanted. Might want to use the wheels later.]
They were very helpful and spent a lot of time with me discussing the proper operation and maintenance of the mower. They were surprised a little that I wanted to be able to cut at 1.75 inches but I told them Diamond said it worked well so I'd go with that. I can always cut lower later.
What nice folks. It is good to know there are still people like them in the business, it restores faith in the small businessman in Florida. Sadly, they are the exception but they have my recommendation for anyone in South Florida looking for a top of the line mower or trimmer.
See...they are great. Not many shops like them around. Did you get the Honda GX or GC? They may have been surprised bc most of the zoysia on palm beach is the varieties that get cut under 1". You can cut empire that low, but it looks great at 1.75", especially with a reel. If you want to keep empire low, you either have to cut 2x/wk or use primo. For a homeowner, 1x/wk is enough. Did you talk to Jeff? Def make sure you don't have the reel engaged while it's not cutting. Your next purchase should be the landscape blade by muryama. Glad everything worked out well for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
See...they are great. Not many shops like them around. Did you get the Honda GX or GC? They may have been surprised bc most of the zoysia on palm beach is the varieties that get cut under 1". You can cut empire that low, but it looks great at 1.75", especially with a reel. If you want to keep empire low, you either have to cut 2x/wk or use primo. For a homeowner, 1x/wk is enough. Did you talk to Jeff? Def make sure you don't have the reel engaged while it's not cutting. Your next purchase should be the landscape blade by muryama. Glad everything worked out well for you.
Posted via Mobile Device
I got the GC Honda, with no more grass than I have it will last plenty long, besides its all they had in a 20". Yes, talked to Jeff and we hit it right off, good people. The blade you mentioned is my next purchase.
We discussed a problem with some of my sod taking so long to take root. Most is well rooted after 7 weeks but some is barely holding. My theory was too much water for the first few weeks. The sod was delivered cut thick and with all the water there was no reason for the roots to go down. They tended to agree. They are a wealth of knowledge and I noticed they are really patient with the folks that come in with questions. Reminded of some of feed and seed stores my grandfather used to take me to where the people running them knew their business and cared about yours. Thanks for telling me about them, I'll be back for sure.