Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

60 lbs. = more years & more miles

It was probably the injured knee hiking in the redwoods that flipped my mental switch to finally lose weight ... but I between last June and this December, I finally shed 60 lbs. The local grocery store manager let me photograph equal weight in cheese blocks (30 x 2 lbs.) to illustrate.

Now I can easily see myself working in the field to age 80 with no need to retire, and many more miles and years hiking. A few weeks ago, I was amazed at how short a time it took me to hike to Tall Trees Grove in Redwood National Park and get back up the hill compared to previous years.

At work, now, if I carry a 40 pound rock, arm load of branches, that's less than just walking my body around in 2011.
Attached Images

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 12-14-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats man! Im only 28 but put about 20 extra pnds on over the last 2yrs. About 6 weeks ago i got back into johging an riding my mountain bike. So far im done 12pnds. I can fit in a 32waist pants again and ive got more energy and endurance. Congrats again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Its hard too loose weight ove the winter months. Ill likley shed a few pounds after the holidays, working till 80 is not my plan, heck Ill never live till then.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Its hard too loose weight ove the winter months. Ill likley shed a few pounds after the holidays, working till 80 is not my plan, heck Ill never live till then.
lol ...

That's why I"m finding some home projects too, like fixing flashing around the roof, installing an attic ladder, dialing-in my own yard, etc., while work has mellowed. Plus some hiking.

My grandmother lived to age 98, and my mother is presently 94 years. Dad is around 88 or 89 years old and still doing travel and business stuff between Oregon and California.

That's why I'm glad this profession is one I enjoy.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890
Old 12-14-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking good! Say cheese!!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

If you change your mind you can change your future .....nothing is hard to do if do not let it be hard..its all in how you look at it...I deal with negative people and things everyday but my approach is a positive one because I refuse to see the negative...good job on the weight loss I am sure that has not been the only positive thing that has come your way since your journey has begun...
Old 12-14-2012, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
lol ...

That's why I"m finding some home projects too, like fixing flashing around the roof, installing an attic ladder, dialing-in my own yard, etc., while work has mellowed. Plus some hiking.

My grandmother lived to age 98, and my mother is presently 94 years. Dad is around 88 or 89 years old and still doing travel and business stuff between Oregon and California.

That's why I'm glad this profession is one I enjoy.

I usually loose a few pounds over the summer months, but this year that didnt happen, everyone says it old age, but I cant keep a 15 to 20 belly so starting the first of the year Ill be going on a chane in diet.

Ive alaways been active and dont think my body can take additional exericise.

Nice pics of the redwoods.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Great Job. I always say I need to get my weight down. Think I need to let my zero turn sit on the trailer more and start running the walkbehind.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I did the same last year. 14 years of marriage, 3 kids. Busy office/work all day. Eating out. SInce college gained about 40. Last year lost 36. Back to the 31,32 waist. Now gained some back (pop is a killer) but after x-mas this year I will be to running, etc. We do snow removal but I have time. I entered a few races last year and never finished below 3rd so next year my wife and i entered a few tandom races and see how that goes. Better to be healthy, busy than just sitting!

Congratts through on the loss and keeping it off!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome

Good for you!! I want to get my weight down also. I weigh approx. 200 lbs. and should be around 170. I know what to do, its just hard to change so many bad habits. So far we have cut out the soda thing, and cut way back on meat.

I just need to get more active daily instead of sitting around wasting my day.

I'm like you if I am healthy enough I will work until my body quits on me. We had a guy in our church a few years back 80 years old and working circles around the youngsters. That is what I would like to do.

Congrats again, David