Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2000, 10:26 PM
Lawnsite Addict

Recivied a call today from a L.A. questioning me on installing pavers on a parking structure. Question was how do you elemiate the water that builds up under the pavers if they are set on concrete.

OK guys lets hear how we would do it.
Old 08-16-2000, 05:27 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

LOW SPOTS

Somewhere on the parking lot were low spots in the concrete or a place where the main bulk of water drained. That spot or spots should have been identified before the pavers were put down. It could have been broken up and filled with a draining rock or ballast, and then lay the pavers over it. I don't know what you could do now without major construction, maybe some kind of drilling.

How large of an area is the water affecting??

I'd like to hear what comes of this. Thanks Paul!!

Old 08-16-2000, 06:13 AM
Lawnsite Addict

This is on new construction, still in design phase, total paver area is going to be in the 30,000 sq. ft. range.

The structure is going to be seen by people so they are thinking that using pavers will make the structure match with other features that surround the structure.
Old 08-16-2000, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Even though I'm not a guy, I guess I'll express my opinion anyway! Since this is going to be installed on a solid,non-permeable base, very little bedding is needed. My paver rep. says that 95% of the available moisture is going to run off of the pavers so only 5% might get through at the most--especially if a style with square corners is used. I would also advise against using a tumbled style of paver that is less uniform than the typical holland stone. The only time that the moisture that filters down could be a problem would be during freezing weather and the sand interlock should allow enough movement to handle that. If that is a large concern, maybe use a flexible expansion joint to prevent heaving.
Old 08-16-2000, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was originally thinking about the use of suspended pavers over the entire structure, much like some applications you see on rooftops. However, seeing this is vehicular and not pedestrian traffic, I think that's out. Those pieces that suspend the brick/block would surely fail in time. My next thought, though, was to identify places where (or design places where) water would collect on the structure and not be subjected to vehicular traffic, and have this support structure/permeable membrane to route the water to some sort of drainage system. As for the base itself, I'd concur with Lanelle - you wouldn't want them laid directly on concrete - too prone to wobble. But you also don't want to build a full base - making a flexible pavement - over a rigid pavement - defeats the purpose.

I'd say an inch of sand between the slab and the brick, with collection drains of some permeable membrane to route water away from structure.

BTW, if this is a multi-level structure, I would guess that the critical level, with regard to drainage, would be the top level - exposed to the weather the most.
Old 08-17-2000, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this is a very interesting problem that has crossed my mind a few times also.

I would say setting the pavers with a thin layer of base sand would be the best way to go, as laying on concrete would be a 'wobbly' mess.

How bout this. Maybe setting the pavers in a thin coat of water proof paver pond. IE. float paver bond across the top of the concrete, then set the pavers in that. The numbers for the amount of paver bond used may be 'astronomical', but would be like setting tiles in thin set, but the bond would have some flex, yet not allow the pavers to wobble. Only thing is, the concrete base had better be 'perfect'.

I would say be a part of the project and have a decision on who does the initial concrete work. A poor job here and your job of setting pavers could be a nightmare.

This subject is interesting to me because I have thought about setting pavers in a shop floor.

We have custom hangers being built here, and I thought it would be awesome to have a paver floor instead of a poured concrete floor. People have the money to pay for it, so I think it would sell.

My main problem is this. Waste water. Being a shop, there are bound to be many oil spills, gas spills, etc. Can't figure out if you could have pavers in a situation like this, as all this hazardous waste would sink into the base over time.

By the way, as for pavers, I had a scoop on a 'epoxy coated' paver. A concrete paver with a 'epoxy' finish. Seeing these is what brought my idea up, as oil, gas, etc. could be easily cleanead off the surface.

But, this setting pavers ontop of a solid surface issue is interesting, and look forward to hearing some more ideas.

steveair
Old 08-17-2000, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

PAUL....

Are you saying that they want pavers but yet, they are going to pour concrete surface first??

Thats the way it sounds, but I still can't understand that??

I guess I'm asking if the concrete is already there or not. If not, what purpose will it serve that a proper base for your pavers won't??

Old 08-18-2000, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Steveair -

ICPI put out a brochure about an airport in TX (Dallas-Fort Worth) that used pavers (I'm not sure if it was the whole thing or just the taxiways) to address the fuel/oil problem they sealed it with Siloxane (I think). In any case, I believe there is a sealer that can handle that type spill.

Guido - If this is a multi-level parking structure, you have to hold up the upper levels with concrete (or something that can handle the huge loads that will be present) and span between the supports with conrete. So I think no matter how you slice it, you're going to start with concrete at the bottom of your paver install in this case - how it's built up from there is up for grabs.
Old 08-18-2000, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks stone,

quick question on the siloxane. Does that fill in the space between the bricks? My concern is the oil/waste seeping through the pavers into the base. Because of waste water managent, they are very strict on flow. If there is to be a drain, then a oil/water seperator must be installed in the hanger. I would think a problem would arrise if the oil/water seperator was installed, but the oil seeped into the pavers and sat there, at least from a 'environmental' view.

If it does 'fill' the joints, then do you still need sand also?

I am unfamiliar with the product, so am very interested.

On the parking structure again, was wondering if they make a product to 'spread' across concrete and float pavers on top of. Maybe similiar to laying ceramic tile/etc, spreadable with a toothed trowel.

Another idea I had was with those new 'plastic' grids they have for setting pavers up (think they have some on the pave/tech probst web site. They use them for the tumbled pavers mainly i believe, As they allow for perfect spacing of each paver. Maybe something like this set up on top of the concrete would allow for some drainage, while at the same time, allow the use of sand and not having them sit directly on the concrete.
Old 08-18-2000, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Woops!

Sorry Guys, I didn't realize it was a multi level structure. Must have missed that part, still don't see it?? But anyway now I know!

Paul, please let us know what happens when you figure it all out!