Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-30-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My SCAG Cheetah review, pros/cons.

We'll after many questions about it and after about 65 hours on the unit, I figured its about time for my piece of mind. The majority of the dislikes hardly bother me, but if SCAG was listening to perfect this mower, this is what I'd say to them.

Dislikes
-Amount of foot space
I'm coming from a JD 7 series and I really enjoyed the amount of room for my feet, especially when I carry a trash bag and grabber in between my legs most days. I used to be able to stretch them out forward, put them to one side, tie them in a knot, you get the picture. My legs/feet feel really cramped on the SCAG platform.
-Fuel tanks
I had no idea how much I had to look over the side to see if my tires could make it through things in the past, now I have to look over the side and come up off the seat to see because of the enormous fuel tanks. No longer can I take a quick glance, I actually have to slow down and look. Also It would be nice if they had an indicator that let you know when you needed to switch to the opposite tank, it has cut off twice on me with blades engaged and it doesn't give you any time to switch before she shuts down. Hey, I was trying to put all the fuel to use before I switched.
-Parking brake
Not a huge issue, but I do have to come up off the seat to get to it as I feel it is a lot lower than my older mower's lever was. They could bring the lever up a good 3-4"
-Exhaust
My older mower had the rear exhaust, the Cheetah has the side one. I wish they would put it diagonally in between the rear and the side because you get overcome with fumes turning it off if you let your mower idle until the trailer door is up, then walk to the side to turn it off.
-Traction
I don't know what it is, but whether the grass is wet or dry it grabs about like it would if it had just rained sometimes. I can pull the handles all the way back and it'll just sit there and spin until I engage both of them. Definitely could grab a lot better.
Engine power
I somewhat feel like it could use a 35HP kawasaki vs. a 31, or whatever the next largest is. It still powers through most anything, but on some tall/wet grass I have to slow down considerably.

I don't care what kind of grass it is (as long as it isn't bone dry outside) the Cheetah delivers a superior cut compared to a lot of mowers I have seen. Actually one of the main reasons I bought this was because I have a good bit of Bahia, buckhorn, and dallisgrass lawns that I have to keep mowed. With sharp blades, heck even dull blades, it cuts nice and even.
Suspension seat
This was solely a winner for me in terms of comfort. It will still jar and jerk you, but a considerable amount of bumps are brought to a small bounce on the seat. It basically tones down the bumps and makes the impact more tolerable, and doesn't break your neck compared to a lot of seats. If they would put a suspension seat on a platform suspension they would of perfected this.
Hydros
All I can really say is I love the sensitivity of these things. You barely move the handle and shes already rolling.
Fuel tanks
Even though I complained earlier about the side visibility being impaired by these, the 15 gallon fuel capacity is wonderful. I can mow about 2 days and not have to visit the gas station.
Ease of maintenance
Its so easy to do just about any maintenance on this thing. Changing the oil is a breeze and it doesn't get oil all over the metal under the engine. I will say the bolt all the way through the deck to attach the blades has taken some getting used to, but with a long torque wrench it works fine. I'm used to getting under the mower and tightening/loosening a bolt without a nut.
Heavy built
I think I could roll it down a hill and it'd still start right up and cut great afterwards. Every piece of metal on this thing is just thick and heavy, not like my John Deere which had thin metal. I can certainly say that SCAG is built to last. Other mowers that I tried (pro-turn, super Z, Exmark) pale in comparison to the build of the SCAG in my opinion.

Overall the mower is apples and oranges difference compared to what I came from. I'm highly satisfied with the mower and it was just about everything I could want in a new one. I would definitely consider myself a SCAG guy after this unit. Hope this helped.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:55 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Great review! Thanks. I love my Scags and the Velocity deck!!
Old 07-30-2012, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmarks don't "pale in comparison" to any other mowers. I'm all for loving your machine, but don't be silly.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParisan View Post
Exmarks don't "pale in comparison" to any other mowers. I'm all for loving your machine, but don't be silly.
That's your opinion, and this was mine. Have a nice day.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

About all your dislikes would be gone if you would have bought the TT. Thats the exact same way I felt about the Cheetah when I tried one. Iam 6'2 and the platform isnt big enough for me and couldnt stand the tanks blocking my view.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Try cutting wet grass with an Exmark. They cut nice dry but clump like crazy when wet. I suggest you try a velocity deck before you get silly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Screw it. Let's all get silly.... Anyway, have you guys been on an exmark since the re-design? Lower center of gravity makes them awesome on hills. The UltraCut decks are worlds apart from their pre-2008 predecessors
Old 07-30-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Screw it. Let's all get silly.... Anyway, have you guys been on an exmark since the re-design? Lower center of gravity makes them awesome on hills. The UltraCut decks are worlds apart from their pre-2008 predecessors
You must have never seen a hustler, kubota, jd, scag, dixie chopper, gravely, or bobcat. Exmarks may be good mowers (I wasn't real impresses with the one I've been on) but to act like all others are inferior is silly. I know there are people who think Exmarks are gods gift to lawn mowing but look around and you will see there are others just as good cut quality, just as well built if not better, as good or better handling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Try cutting wet grass with an Exmark. They cut nice dry but clump like crazy when wet. I suggest you try a velocity deck before you get silly.
Posted via Mobile Device
There's a guy that lives up the road from me and his lawn is full of buckhorn stems half cut and stingers every time he cuts it even when dry. His Exmarks are fairly new I think, they have the black fenders. My new super z doesn't leave that many stingers.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNGrassCutter View Post
You must have never seen a hustler, kubota, jd, scag, dixie chopper, gravely, or bobcat. Exmarks may be good mowers (I wasn't real impresses with the one I've been on) but to act like all others are inferior is silly. I know there are people who think Exmarks are gods gift to lawn mowing but look around and you will see there are others just as good cut quality, just as well built if not better, as good or better handling.
Posted via Mobile Device
No... I was stating that Exmarks don't pale in comparison to any other mowers. Which was a remark left by the Scag poster. I know everyone has their own preferences.... I'm not saying other mowers are inferior, but I know that Exmarks are not! Besides, It doesn't matter what machine your on at the end of the day if you don't have skills. That's what counts at the end of the day, and you can't buy that at an equipment dealer.