Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have the same aerator, but its a 48" I believe. I have hydraulic lift on mine. I pull it with john deere x585
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-26-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tizzy View Post
are you talking tracks or ruts. becasue tracks can be fixed by changing mowing directions. shallow ruts you can fix with aerating and topdressing. deep ruts are going to require filling with dirt grading off and reseeding.

so there is a big difference in them. if you have pictures or can get some it will make it a lot easier for us to help
This the kind of tracks that the guy was complaining about. Now keep in mind this area is irrigated and picture isn't true color this is very green. The area that was the biggest complaint area didn;t have as much hill but it was on the side of drainage ditch and had King Ranch Bluestem which pads real bad. I am cutting at about 4 inches. This is buffalo grass I think.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2012, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't have the qualifications to talk about your types of grass but from my perspective it looks like the tires crushed drought stressed grass. At least that is what sometimes happens up north. I know you say its aerated so I don't know how to help on that end.
As far as aerating large areas I also have a 40" 3 pt Classen on a 15 hp Mits diesel tractor, no downpressure on mine but I add about 300# of weight. It makes short work of all aerating jobs from 4000 sq ft to 4 acres +. Sorry you are having issues. Good Luck.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I thought that happened to all the pasture type grasses here in Texas when you mow in 105 degree heat. I know I can sure tell when the evapotranspiration rate goes over the precipitation rate because this happens to all grasses.
Cooler temps and precipitation rate greater to evapotranspiration rate fixes the problem.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is not a compaction rut issue as others said. Compaction and ruts happen when the clay is wet. If the site is irrigated then yes, you should switch up paths a little.

Rain and fertilizer will fix it.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Member

Not knowing how much moisture you have had this year makes this a little more of a challenge. If that lawn is dry to the bone and drought stressed, those brown tire tracks could likely be dead grass from repeated heavy machine use breaking the crown of the grass. Aerating and overseeding is a good idea if that's the case. And stop running heavy mowers over the same tracks.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by docjones View Post
Not knowing how much moisture you have had this year makes this a little more of a challenge. If that lawn is dry to the bone and drought stressed, those brown tire tracks could likely be dead grass from repeated heavy machine use breaking the crown of the grass. Aerating and overseeding is a good idea if that's the case. And stop running heavy mowers over the same tracks.
This grass is irrigated the day before I mow and I mow very early in the morning. I think the only answer is to get the dam heavy Turf Turd off of it and use a wb. This grass is growing fast so that isn't the problem. If I move the over then I will have more tracks until it is all smashed down. I could drag one of those striping kits dealees.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

See that here in In all over. Mostly against walls and along ditches. And some look real bad. I tried a 48-52 and 61 with not much help. Still had the tire tracks. Next thing I done was use a 21" for a couple passes and this helped the most but took more time. In your case along the top you just have to get out of the same track some way. Dont care what anybody says its the weight of the mowers that cause most of this and running in the same tracks all the time.
Old 09-02-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthSide Cutter View Post
See that here in In all over. Mostly against walls and along ditches. And some look real bad. I tried a 48-52 and 61 with not much help. Still had the tire tracks. Next thing I done was use a 21" for a couple passes and this helped the most but took more time. In your case along the top you just have to get out of the same track some way. Dont care what anybody says its the weight of the mowers that cause most of this and running in the same tracks all the time.
Yea....did you guys finally get some rain this week. My brother in Vincennes is suffering. Corn is real bad.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Yea....did you guys finally get some rain this week. My brother in Vincennes is suffering. Corn is real bad.
We are got rain almost all night last night and Sunday. May help the beans and grass but the corn is toast. Talked to some and its pretty bad. Picking 40 acres and dont even fill the hopper. Paper says its from 2 bushels to 90. What really hurt was a couple weeks ago around my house and down towards Petersburg and Oakland City we got some bad hail for about 20 min. Done 20,000+ damage to my roof on house and shop and east side on house siding.
A guy that works for me at the plant Trent Coonce from Knox Co. Said the Smalls picked his corn and just got one truck load!!
Alot of yards are going to have to be reseeded here. Iam 60 and have worked on a farm alot of my life and cant remember a summer like this one.