Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-03-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
This grass is irrigated the day before I mow and I mow very early in the morning. I think the only answer is to get the dam heavy Turf Turd off of it and use a wb. This grass is growing fast so that isn't the problem. If I move the over then I will have more tracks until it is all smashed down. I could drag one of those striping kits dealees.
It maybe irrigated but not enough. Seriously, I have some lawns that are irrigated but in the high heat and drought they leave tracks. Soon as some rain returns the tracks go away.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i would guess its simply the same machines travelling the same path time after time, even ashpalt gets rutts in it over time with tires in the same path over and over. SOmehow you need to make paths in different directions.
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 09-03-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
It maybe irrigated but not enough. Seriously, I have some lawns that are irrigated but in the high heat and drought they leave tracks. Soon as some rain returns the tracks go away.
We have computer programs to compute how much water each station gets so that we utilize every second of time we are allowed. This area gets two 15 minute runs twice a week. So now that I have told you we can not water any more and I cut it at 6:30 in the morning what would you suggest? By the way this grass is growing fast...
Old 09-03-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
We have computer programs to compute how much water each station gets so that we utilize every second of time we are allowed. This area gets two 15 minute runs twice a week. So now that I have told you we can not water any more and I cut it at 6:30 in the morning what would you suggest? By the way this grass is growing fast...
Have you looked at the meter while the station is running and see how it matches up to your program?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
does not matter how much water you throw at this area......per say.

It does matter how, and how much. The reason it's in the piz poor shape that it's in , is because it's on a slope. Your infiltration rate of slope vs flat turf has a wide variance. Your compaction issue is of soil particulates, which are also more dense. Getting a soil sample, start with ph values from different areas on the irrigated zone. After that ask your ag extension personnel how to address it for amendment purposes.

BTW slopes are also the most unfriendly places for dry turf due to wind damage
And mowers don't cut level going around slopes
Old 09-04-2012, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Lets assume that the area in question is under a water budget, getting maximum delivery of water and all that good stuff and the grass is growing well. I would then consider using a PGR like cutless or primo maxx on it.

All I am saying from looking at the photos this looks more like stressed grass with scalding and or physcial damages from the mower not "ruts"
Old 09-04-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let me back up and punt. We need to know it this is buffalo or bermuda. If Buffalo then it is a nice thick stand of it and it may actually be getting too much attention. I missed the part about it being buffalo earlier.. I am sorry Ed.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Member

I would try cutting at a later time as the dampness will increase rut depth. Use a light weight mower and you will see a big improvement.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Buffalo does not tolerate too much traffic but it also does not require much irrigation or mowing compared to bermuda.

If it is growing that fast, you may play with less water / less mowing particularly on that slope. Less fertilizer too.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Oh well you're cutting that hill sideways no wonder it's rutting, with a Ztr you should be cutting up and down which unfortunately you can only do it with the front of the machine pointing up slope so you have to do it one pass up then back down the same way and move over and repeat until done, bit time consuming but do that and your rutting problem is fixed, or keep mowing sideways and you can't win this one.