Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Advertisement experiment I did

This spring I did a small experiment with the local paper. I put a nice professional ad in and after 2 weeks with no calls I decided to put a small ad in the the paper too that just said "looking for lawn mowing and other lawn care work" in the first day I had 6 calls.
Old 07-31-2012, 06:51 AM
Sponsor

This I typical. The real question did you recover your investment from either advertising experiment?. If yes than great, if no thanks for sharing.
easy-lft guy
Old 07-31-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

yes I did but I did it in the paper of a small town so it only cost me 150$ for a month.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice testing, Dylan. Were the 6 calls from the simple ad solid leads?
Old 07-31-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Member

After the ad was done I got 4 full timers and one is now my best client. I did this last winter with snow and got the same response but this also might not pertain to your area.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What I found is cheap people look for cheap looking companies. Your experiment is no surprise. Post an ad on Craigslist and you get the same scumbags. You will find a good one now and then, but I quit posting on Craigslist a long time ago.

Dave...
Old 07-31-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have often said the same thing about ourselves. When we drive to a new customer i never take a brand new truck. Believe it or not we truly believe driving a presentable truck that looks like a work truck makes a client feel more comfortable because they are thinking your going to treat them more fairly than the slick new truck driver. Take it or leave it..... thats my two cents.
Good luuck to all
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

You do get cheap customers but I get a lot of good ones too. I think most people especially the elderly just right off the nice looking company thinking they are just to much or will try to take advantage of them.

Im going to keep running two ads at once from now on I think, one nice one plain. When they are just looking for someone to cut the lawn or small stuff I think they call the plain ad thinking cheap but it does not mean you have to be cheap have your price and stick to it. When someone is looking for more maintenance /landscape work they call the nice ad looking for a professional.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan's Lawn Care View Post
This spring I did a small experiment with the local paper. I put a nice professional ad in and after 2 weeks with no calls I decided to put a small ad in the the paper too that just said "looking for lawn mowing and other lawn care work" in the first day I had 6 calls.
spring time, i get 6 calls a day easily, some days closer to 10, with voice mails if your phone isn't ringing in the spring time and in the fall, you must be doing something wrong, but those are the times i have no issues getting alot of work. summer july and august are generally my slow months, but this year with all the storm work i can't complain much except i spend money too fast...i also live in ct, one of the most wealthy if not the wealthiest and expensive states to live in. there are many poor cities around me, but i live in and work in the towns and for the people who generally have a lot of extra money. sometimes i do work for people with not so much money, just to help them out, but not often.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I live in a middle class farming community with around a pop of 8,000 and 15-20 listed LCO's and probably another 10 that just do in for beer money.