Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-30-2012, 12:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Need some tips on being a new foreman.

Here is a long story, shortened for the point..I have'nt done grass cutting pro. ever until this year...did landscape for 2 summers while in high school years ago..93-95.mech. inclined, and have common sense.....I have been working PT for almost 2 yrs being a mechanic for mowers, trucks, heavy equipment, and during winter driving a salt truck...this year..(past 4 mos now) I have been asked to cut grass and have a typical weekly route as the owner let some people go, and brought new ones in to try and kick start work ethic. I only know one speed of work...thats full tilt boogie..."Im here for a good time...not a long time"..I do a good to very good job (im pessimist) but could prolly ease back a lil. Our current new foreman..on the job for 2 months got into some sticky legal trouble, and might end up being let go...while he is a younger guy..he knows how to jump start guys, and manage issues, and as well as work on equipment as he has had many jobs including very heavy equip operator. He does lack in customer communication IMO as he is a "good ol boy" mans man..cocky, f-bombs every sentence, etc...I rode with him during our drought two weeks ago, and last week doing misc stuff like him teaching me how to fix sprinkler systems, and program them, and typical stuff. At any rate..ive rambled enough...the owner wants me to take the position..(ive turned it down before 4 months ago due to lack of experience in the field) well he's trying to push me into it again because he loves the work ethic, and speed at which I work. two questions...one is kinda double loaded.
1. what are some tips and advice on taking on this position...(the current foreman already has knowledge on pricing/bidding, as his father is also a landscaping owner.)
2. How do I make the transition while maintaining loyalty and work ethic from current employees that some of which were brought in by said foreman (they are best friends)

thanks all for any guidance! looking forward to being/sharing any assistance!
Old 07-30-2012, 01:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Be a confident jack of all trades. Listen, delegate, train, monitor and mentor.

Keep educating yourself and your crew.

Get your first-aid ticket.

Wear sunscreen.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.NewEarth View Post
Be a confident jack of all trades. Listen, delegate, train, monitor and mentor.

Keep educating yourself and your crew.

Get your first-aid ticket.

Wear sunscreen.
Thanks for the encouragement!! I am already a 1st responder, and will be throwing in 1st aid kits in each truck. Training someone to work at Kohler was easy after I was there for 12 yrs...doing this can be viewed the same way, but just need to learn a new type of work..lol
Old 07-31-2012, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Remember, you are the boss not their friend.
Posted via Mobile Device