Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Lawnboy Sens a Speed model 10672

Hi, About 18 mos ago the transmission was replaced on my lawnboy. All was good first time after then the right rear wheel locked up. I returned mower and technician did a quick 5 minute fix where he reversed something and all was good. Now the bracket that holds the transmission broke I purchased and replaced myself. First time use was great next time right wheel locked up cannot go forward or backward. I never removed wheels just transmission. I returned to shop but new guys there have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thx
Old 07-31-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

http://www.wiseequipment.net/pages/O...A-381095-00019

Just my guess--you're lacking some lubrication in the pinion/key/spring on the axle and the key is locked up in the pinion. The pinion must be free to turn in one direction only--and if I've got my directions correct the pinion should turn freely in the clockwise direction as you look at it(for the right side wheel).

That's a very simple drive assembly Remove the wheel to expose the drive pinion. Remove the e-clip and washer that retains the pinion. If the pinion is locked up on the axle, give it a shot of light lube, then tap the pinion until it loosens up. If you get the pinion loose, pull the pinion but watch for the key and spring as you do. Clean the milled slot in the shaft, lube and replace. Remember that the pinion must go on as it came off since it meant to operate in only one direction.

This is the same transmission/axle assembly that Toro uses in their less expensive mower(big box store units). The pinions need to be lubed on a regular basis, particularly in dusty conditions.

http://www.wiseequipment.net/pages/O...A-381095-00019
Old 08-01-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Lawnboy sens a speed wheel lock

Thank you Dutch1 for the quick reply. I don't fully understand but will certainly look into removing the wheels and lubricating wherever I can. I have never taken the wheels off. I just find it strange that when the transmission was replaced I had this problem right away(18 mos ago)I went to the shop and they did a quick repair without removing wheel (I wish I paid more attention). Now I have removed transmission to install new bracket that holds transmission and same trouble, could be coincidence but makes me think I put something in backwards on reinstall. I'll keep my fingers x'd and give it a try tonight. Again thanks, great site for assistance.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Randy,

I haven't seen a 10672 so possibly I'm missing something. I don't understand how you could replace the transmission without removing the wheels and the associated parts on the drive shaft.

Working with the drive system on this unit isn't brain surgery. Look up your unit at the link in my first response--you will get a picture of how things go together.

I note you're a relatively new poster and possibly new to repair scenarios. Just be patient. As many have suggested, if you have concerns--take pictures at each step as you proceed.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:33 PM
LawnSite Member

lawn boy 10672 self propelled

Thx Dutch1, Yes I am new and a do it yourselfer struggling thru trying to save a buck. I did as suggested but still stuck. I am going to open up transmission and see if there is anything I could have put on backwards, barring that I'll have to take it in, grass is getting too long, it was worth a shot anyway.