Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-31-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Can Definately tell it's a full moon...effing PITA's

several calls today on absolutely absurd stuff that is well beyond my control. Won't go into all of them but the main two just drive me crazy. first lady calls and wants me to meet with her to go over some stuff. She shows me where she believes our edging around her pool has caused the concrete walkway to shift and become uneven. She kind of non chalantly asks how are "we" going to fix it. I proceeded to inform her that there was no way the edging created a gap big enough for the concrete to shift. It was caused by not enough watering around the "foundation" just like a house that caused the concrete to shift. The huge gap and depth of the edge was created by the concrete getting so hot it causes the dirt to pull away from the concrete thus causing it to shift. Come to find out she is full blown OCD. I have a feeling I will lose her as a customer and I have no problems with that.

The second lady calls me to complain about why is there 3 charges for services for the month when she only wants bi-weekly charges. I proceed to tell her that once a season there will be a month that the service dates fall on the 1st, 15th, and 29th and that unfortuantely I have no control over the calender days. She was beyond pissed that she was going to have to come up with another $30 to pay for an extra service. wtf is wrong with people...smh
Old 07-31-2012, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferbum21 View Post
several calls today on absolutely absurd stuff that is well beyond my control. Won't go into all of them but the main two just drive me crazy. first lady calls and wants me to meet with her to go over some stuff. She shows me where she believes our edging around her pool has caused the concrete walkway to shift and become uneven. She kind of non chalantly asks how are "we" going to fix it. I proceeded to inform her that there was no way the edging created a gap big enough for the concrete to shift. It was caused by not enough watering around the "foundation" just like a house that caused the concrete to shift. The huge gap and depth of the edge was created by the concrete getting so hot it causes the dirt to pull away from the concrete thus causing it to shift. Come to find out she is full blown OCD. I have a feeling I will lose her as a customer and I have no problems with that.

The second lady calls me to complain about why is there 3 charges for services for the month when she only wants bi-weekly charges. I proceed to tell her that once a season there will be a month that the service dates fall on the 1st, 15th, and 29th and that unfortuantely I have no control over the calender days. She was beyond pissed that she was going to have to come up with another $30 to pay for an extra service. wtf is wrong with people...smh
Oh me...the second lady.

The first lady reminds me of one I did recently which had grass 6" over driveway edge, when I edged she than told me she wasn't going to pay because I chipped the concrete edge...I said how who you know lady, you never seen the edge because it was covered in grass.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 06:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would look to fill their spots with new clients.............hope it works out for you
2010 Ford F 150 Super Crew 4X4
2011 Walker MTefi 26hp 52"
2013 Wright Sentar Sport 36"
2013 Wright Sentar X 52"
2014 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2013 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2012 New Holland T5050 95 HP Tractor/blower
2011 New Holland T4050 95 HP Tractor/blower
Old 07-31-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I had a cheap customer whose sidewalk looked like it had been edged. I didn't edge it - the drought caused the gap along the walkway.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferbum21 View Post

Yeah, sorry to hear that man. I feel like one day its going to happen to me as the majority of my bi-weekly's are X amount all year, then there is that one month where it gets cut 3 times. I guess its more of a shock to them as they aren't sitting at home cognizant of the fact that some months have 5 weeks. My PITA week was right before I went on vacation for the 4th., Happened last year and coincidentally enough it happened this year. Long story short, I guess a customer found a guy to do it cheaper, so customer was very reluctant to pay the last bill. Ended up having to call them several times on vacation for me to get back and have them say "oh just charge my Credit card.

Doing billing WAYYY different from now on. But, its a lesson learned.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Having picked up a bunch of biweeklys this year I can relate. I tell them its 2 cuts per month regardless. My schedule is very fluid and constantly changing. Times and days are never promised.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Get rid of those clients as quickly as you can. It will only get worse from here on...
Old 07-31-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Had a customer insist that I charged him an extra time despite the dates on the invoice. After playing e-mail I told him I would be more then happy to show him on a calendar next time I mowed......"Oh i see now ......duh"
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

This the number reason why we don't do biweekly's. They are always a pain in the ass and cheap phuckers too,
Old 08-01-2012, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCountyLawn View Post
Had a customer insist that I charged him an extra time despite the dates on the invoice. After playing e-mail I told him I would be more then happy to show him on a calendar next time I mowed......"Oh i see now ......duh"
i think i was in more awe that she didn't understand when i told her how it happened to be 3 cuts in one month. she was so confused even when i explained to her 5 times how it falls on 1st, 15th, and 29th of the month she still couldn't get past that 2 biweekly cuts is 28 days. I had to tell her to look at a calender to show there were 3 mondays that month