Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2010, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Member

JD z820a - how bad is it really...

found one that a guy has that is looking to get rid of - 08 model 100+hrs- think 54 in w/ no upgrades) not sure when made - warranty lasts till may 11 (so did they have 2 or 3 yr warranties? guess he could have bought an extended one- so not sure when he bought it may 08 or may 09) --
he already bought another one saying needing a bigger deck....
this one could probably be bought in the $5k-ish range maybe a few hundred more or less...
searched on here and several posts said they had problems with them but were never specific- actually called them disasters.....
something i need to pass on or waste a little gas in looking at--- only doing residential mowing - but about 3-4 acres
Old 07-21-2010, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Member

dont look at it
Stihl blower, trimmer, weedeater
Z71 Suburban with enclosed trailer
Sold: 1983 John Deere 420, and 3 737 John Deeres
Blew up: 3 737 John Deeres
John Deere bought back my Z-trak 810 POS
Blew up: Tons of weedeaters.
Too bad Hustlers aren't green..
Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin14 View Post
found one that a guy has that is looking to get rid of - 08 model 100+hrs- think 54 in w/ no upgrades) not sure when made - warranty lasts till may 11 (so did they have 2 or 3 yr warranties? guess he could have bought an extended one- so not sure when he bought it may 08 or may 09) --
he already bought another one saying needing a bigger deck....
this one could probably be bought in the $5k-ish range maybe a few hundred more or less...
searched on here and several posts said they had problems with them but were never specific- actually called them disasters.....
something i need to pass on or waste a little gas in looking at--- only doing residential mowing - but about 3-4 acres
As long as it has the upgrade kit on it you will be fine. I demoed an 820a with the kit at my dealer and there were no problems with it. The problems that you read about deal with the pumps which was fixed by changing the pulleys so they wouldn't take power away from the deck and them being to front heavy which was corrected by adding weights to the back of the machine. Because it still has the warranty on it your dealer will install the kit under warranty. With the 800's you either got a winner or a lemon, you are going to find guys that never had a single problem and others who had nothing but problems. I go to Western Kentucky University and the grounds crew runs a fleet of 820a's and 830a's with the kits on them and the foreman had nothing but good things to say about them when I talked to him. I wouldn't hesitate to get an 800 as long as it had the upgrade kit installed.

'99 Dodge Ram 2500 reg cab long bed
'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
22'' '66 Western Auto Wizard
21"push mower/w bagger
Stihl KM 90 w/trimmer,tiller, and hedge trimmer
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 07-31-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

820a Issue Resolved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993lx172 View Post
As long as it has the upgrade kit on it you will be fine. I demoed an 820a with the kit at my dealer and there were no problems with it. The problems that you read about deal with the pumps which was fixed by changing the pulleys so they wouldn't take power away from the deck and them being to front heavy which was corrected by adding weights to the back of the machine. Because it still has the warranty on it your dealer will install the kit under warranty. With the 800's you either got a winner or a lemon, you are going to find guys that never had a single problem and others who had nothing but problems. I go to Western Kentucky University and the grounds crew runs a fleet of 820a's and 830a's with the kits on them and the foreman had nothing but good things to say about them when I talked to him. I wouldn't hesitate to get an 800 as long as it had the upgrade kit installed.
So you are saying that your demo did not have any power loss like these other guys experienced? You demo had this "kit"? How much is this kit and how much was the installation? How much were the weights? Whats year was this model?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You do know this thread is 2 years old?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

But two years of bliss... I ended up getting a z520 for a deal and it has been an excellent mower...yet like the above poster mentioned...it does seem to be off balance concerning weight (which is odd since it probably weighs close to 1000lb) but it slips a bunch on the right side....I,be seen people put more aggressive tires on 'me to combat this problem, yet haven't run across a weight kit in person but have seen them on eBay....
Old 07-31-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
But two years of bliss... I ended up getting a z520 for a deal and it has been an excellent mower...yet like the above poster mentioned...it does seem to be off balance concerning weight (which is odd since it probably weighs close to 1000lb) but it slips a bunch on the right side....I,be seen people put more aggressive tires on 'me to combat this problem, yet haven't run across a weight kit in person but have seen them on eBay....
The Z700 that replaced the 500's are the same way. That's because the gas tank is on the left, and the left front caster arm sticks straight out, which when the two are combined takes too much weight off the right rear tire. The 900's are built the same way, but have that heavy arsed rear cast iron bumper that makes a ton of difference, and the front forks have been slimmed down on both the 700's and 900's to remove some weight from the front end. I have owned both a Z720, and now a Z950.

There is a kit that allows you to mount a 42 lb suitcase weight at the rear right side on the outside of the frame below the engine. I'm not sure if it's from Deere themselves, or aftermarket, but I have actually seen it in a picture. I was actually going to make my own for my 720 until I saw that. I ended up selling it and buying my 950 before I could do either though.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by educatedman76 View Post
So you are saying that your demo did not have any power loss like these other guys experienced? You demo had this "kit"? How much is this kit and how much was the installation? How much were the weights? Whats year was this model?
Man this is a blast from the past.

I demoed a used one that they took in on trade. The sales guy said that the first thing they did when they got it in was to put that kit on it. He showed me what had been replaced compared to one that didn't have the kit. I have no idea what the kit cost or what it was to install it. The mower was I think a 2010 but it's been so long i'm not 100%.

I never felt that it lacked any power but then again it had a 54" deck on it. Some of the issues I feel were from trying to run the 60" decks on the 820's and they just didn't have enough power for that deck.

If I was planning on being in the lawn business longer I would have bought it at the time.

'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
21"push mower/w bagger
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper

"Never Give Up! Never Surrender!"
Old 07-31-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
From what I understand It's just a 75lb weight that bolts onto the back like a bumper. All new JD commercial or part time commercial ztr's come with this weight right out of the box.

'91 JD Lx172 38"/ bagger
'11 JD X300 48"
21"push mower/w bagger
Husquvarna BT130
MTD 3.5 HP edger
AgraFab 17 cb ft trailer
Precise-Fit Areator
Random dethacher
Precise-Fit lawn sweeper