Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2012, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Afraid of lots of first-time customers?

I aerated the Tee-box at the local driving range tonight & had a real eye-opening conversation with the owner. This guy is perplexed. He works full-time while trying to make his driving range a success.
Here's the kicker---He'd love to advertise but is afraid to get too many first-time customers come to his just so-so range because if they don't like what they see they may never come back. He hasn't had the extra time or money to do much of anything. Sound like a terrible cycle to you?
I believe there are a ton of small business owners that want to grow but are totally consumed with either balancing work or just don't have the experience to know where to start. So in short, I'd love to put all my know-how to work for him but how would you charge for such a variety of services needed? Besides marketing, even pressure-washing the shed where the honor-system balls are housed would be an improvement. As an "Ad Agent" if I can't make it work for this guy then I'd better forget about it altogether.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I understand to an extent what he is going through.

We maintly do grounds maintenance....but are trying to move into doing more landscape installations & paver jobs.

We are not equipped for large instillation or paver jobs. I have done plenty of instillations but don't have the time to juggle men between jobs to get a job done in a timely manner to keep a client happy. So why try advertising and pushing our landscape design/build side of the business if we can't give it 100%...yet