Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-08-2012, 03:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Leaf disposal

Maybe its to early to be thinking of this but I want to know now so when the time comes I am ready. How do you guys dispose of your leaves? I want to price a huge commercial job but its looking that if was to haul all the leaves to the dumps I would be looking at 25,000 in dumping fees. Yes its that much leaves. Like tons on top of tons. Is there places to dispose where you pay a flat rate for the season? It would help out big time in pricing. Thanks in advanced
Old 08-08-2012, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you have that kind of volume, I'd look into finding some place and someone who can do composting... 25,000 can buy a piece of ground to just dump leaves onto for year after year...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How many acres? What is the current company doing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Well heres the deal, My dad used to be the company that did it and three years ago he got outbidded, like big time. Since then he lost interest in landscaping, but I was putting in ten hours days at this place working for him and since I have my own landscaping company now I want to get it back. We used to do it on contract for 5500 a month. some guys came in and came in at 4000 grand a month. My dad is telling me not to even waist my time, but If I could find a way to dispose of the leaves more cheaply I could probably get back in there and come close on that bid. Its a 32 acre complex with trees galore.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For that cost have you considered mulching the heck out of the leaves?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Dont think that would work or if the complex would even go for that. They want complete leaf removal.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What does it cost you per yard to dump leaves? You want to pay per yard not per ton and you should know of some recycling places in your area since you are in this trade. We pay 5 a yard for shredded leaves so assuming worse case a truck load per acre so 32 truck loads we would be out 60 a load so $1920 in that example. But I do not believe id fill my leaf truck that many times nor do I know your price to dump so this is just guessing till you can give some more concrete numbers. Your father did this so he has to know how much came off there so ask him. And if he tells you not to bother don't just brush that advice off he must have some real reasons.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
What does it cost you per yard to dump leaves? You want to pay per yard not per ton and you should know of some recycling places in your area since you are in this trade. We pay 5 a yard for shredded leaves so assuming worse case a truck load per acre so 32 truck loads we would be out 60 a load so $1920 in that example. But I do not believe id fill my leaf truck that many times nor do I know your price to dump so this is just guessing till you can give some more concrete numbers. Your father did this so he has to know how much came off there so ask him. And if he tells you not to bother don't just brush that advice off he must have some real reasons.
That's some good advice, just because you'll come out in the black doesn't mean its worth it.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is when i would be finding a section under ALL OF THESE trees and creating a pile..... Blow the leaves back into the woods!

Maybe easier said than done. But we do this EVERY Year at one of my Preschools. By the time spring comes around all of the trees and plants and leaves on them again and you cant even see the pile(s). Then by the Next Fall all of the previous leaves have already composted and settled so there is more room...

Customer is happy because they save HUGE bucks.
In the past i was filling up semi's with leaves!

Otherwise you need to take those leaves to a yard somewhere and light them on fire or something! I bet the fine (If any....dont know where you live) would still be cheaper! ahahahah!
Old 08-11-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heather lawn sp View Post
For that cost have you considered mulching the heck out of the leaves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
This is when i would be finding a section under ALL OF THESE trees and creating a pile..... Blow the leaves back into the woods!

Maybe easier said than done. But we do this EVERY Year at one of my Preschools. By the time spring comes around all of the trees and plants and leaves on them again and you cant even see the pile(s). Then by the Next Fall all of the previous leaves have already composted and settled so there is more room...

Customer is happy because they save HUGE bucks.
In the past i was filling up semi's with leaves!

Otherwise you need to take those leaves to a yard somewhere and light them on fire or something! I bet the fine (If any....dont know where you live) would still be cheaper! ahahahah!
After thinking about what you guys have said again, maybe they would go for it if I could save alot of money for them. Heres another question. How well can you mulch up leaves with a mulching mower. Does it look decent? I have been looking up videos on youtube and its looks like it comes out pretty good.