Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-01-2012, 05:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

employee talks too much on cell phone

My employee talks to much in my truck with his hands free device. He talks more than a girl. It is ongoing all day long. He bitches and complains on the phone to his girlfriend. I don't want to hear it anymore. How do I go about telling him about this without him walking off? He is an excellent worker but I don't want to hear his problems while I am trying to listen to my music. If he is not talking he is listen to loud getto music on his ear buds he puts into his ears from his smart phone. Then he starts singing along to himself and starts to dance when he gets out of the truck. It is embarassing to me when customers walk by and he is singing and dancing .
Old 08-01-2012, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ask him to stop, if he doesn't, cya later
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you need him more than he needs a job in this economy? It's your company and you rep that's on the line. Set him straight. If he complains tell him they don't allow the loud music and dancing down at unemployment.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Let's see. He is an excellent worker. Do you know how hard those are to find? I believe I could put up with a lot from a person who puts their nose to the grindstone when the time comes. I don't mean breaking rules, I mean personality traits. Singing and dancing doesn't bother me cause you would probably find me drumming the steering wheel and singing off key if you road in the truck with me. The phone calls you can stop easily. Just say only talking while on lunch.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Cell phone talking while riding in the truck would be okay with me. The singing and dancing would be discussed. My employee hand book has a paragraph on conducting yourself professionally.

Just a note, I dont like negativety and don't like it when people talk down about their family, being kids or spouse.

I tell them I don't want to be around them if they continue this, and then take actions when I have had enough.

I had employee that was pretty good worker. But he lived, eat and breathed skydiving, had to let him go due to I was tired of the skydiving stories. He made over 500 jumps and had a story for every jump. Every customer and or every person he came around he would bring it up.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

He is the best worker I have had. That is why I don't want to piss him off since the phone is his best friend. He never calls in and he offers to go above and beyond what needs to be done. I guess I will listen to his hip hop getto music and sing his favorite song Called "dummy".
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Member

just let him know you dont like it he just stop. A good worker is a harddddd thing to find be truefull and he should understand. Maybe buy him lunch and talk about it then
Old 08-01-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If he were that good of a worker, there wouldn't be as much drama.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a guy that worked for me whose girlfriend would call him more then 20 times a day. He would stop cutting to talk Her I finally had to tell him to leave phone in truck or find another job.

60'' Gravely pro-turn 29 hp
60" Exmark lazar 23 hp
48" Snapper pro walk behind 14 hp kawasaki
21" Lawn boy
echo blower trimmers etc.
2005 Ford ranger v 6 4x4
Go O's
Go Raven's
Old 08-01-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

it doesnt sound like he is having conversations while working on the phone, if this is the case that he only talks on the road then its fair game. I think phones are allowed as long as your not cutting or trimming. As for the dancing, I dont see that unproffesional either. Look at it this way its a better image than him smoking cigs and throwing butts on the property. Good workers are hard to find I would just deal with it, however if things change or get worse I may consider talking to him.