Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

DOT sucks. Trying to stay legal is about as complex as the Federal Tax Code. Here is what I think I know after almost 20 years of dealing with them. I try to keep everything as legal as possible beyond that I try to keep everything safe, which should be the focus of DOT. I and those who drive that are employeed are in a drug testing consortium. However if you get pulled over and they feel you are due to pay a toll, your paying a toll. I know that sounds as if I being ignorant but I believe it to be true and this is why.

When I go through a Port of Entry and pay for a trip permit or in Wyoming an off road vehicle sticker (Wyomings method of taxing heavy equipment that operates in the State). I have very little problems. Montana is the same way. When I go in and pay money for something they usually dont get me for anything more. However if you have not paid something, you will likely leave with less money than you started with. It seems as though the goal is to extract a "fee" from those who enter their State. I was told by one port of entry that "they have fun with excavators". I was no exception, that shittty day in Montana.

Its a bad a deal. Like I said I do what I can to keep in their good graces, but if its your day to pay, you will be paying. How much is what it comes down to.

Proudly running CASE and Takeuchi equipment.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
A Non commercial Comercial Drivers License Eh?

I ain't holding my breath.
Yep, a non commercial CDL...only the govt.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
A Non commercial Comercial Drivers License Eh?

I ain't holding my breath.
Me neither.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Yep, a non commercial CDL...only the govt.
It's not a NCCDL. It's NCDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
wanna copy of the paperwork that says so?
Well skippy get crackin'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Horse hockey and bovine excrement.

Anyone can rent a semi to move their household and not require a CDL. What about all those retired folks hauling diesel pushers all over the country that fall well within CDL requirements.

TAF, be careful of what you read and believe from the internet. I haven't read through the whole thread, but so far in 2 posts I've found 2 huge mistakes.
First off, my first post was worded incorrectly but we all know what I meant. I was referring to GVWR/GCWR, but I made a semantic error.

Secondly, except for my personal CDL mistake, go back and re-read every CDL post I've had and look for a mistake.

Everybody knows RV's are CDL exempt. I just had no idea that anybody could go buy a tractor trailer for personal use without a CDL. My mistake.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-vt lawnguy View Post
deerwashed
as a guy that works from greenwich to ridgefield i find wilton pd to be one of the worst around for pulling over trucks. They check everything on them and will take you off the road if they even think you are over weight. just a friendly warning stay away from the lot on the corner of rt 7 and 106 the like to set up a state dot check there about once a month and the town is there almowt everyday

yup they sit right there in the parking lot, i live on belden hill, and all my work requires me to go up 106 toward new canaan, or down belden hill to 95. so wouldnt run into them, but thanks for the heads up on the DOT check point. do you tow at all? have a cdl?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

this **** lit up quick, all this discussion about certain states does not help me....i need ct. can i call motor vehicle about questions like this or do i need to call some special place.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerewashed View Post
this **** lit up quick, all this discussion about certain states does not help me....i need ct. can i call motor vehicle about questions like this or do i need to call some special place.
Just drive down th highway with a piece of equipment unchained, a nice fella' will come out and explain the law to you!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-08-2012, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93Chevy View Post
First off, my first post was worded incorrectly but we all know what I meant. I was referring to GVWR/GCWR, but I made a semantic error.

OK, but when talking about DOT garbage, exact verbage is an absolute necessity. Plated vs GVWR vs GVW are all different in the eyes of the law. And if you are trying to help, you need to make sure to use the correct term.

Secondly, except for my personal CDL mistake, go back and re-read every CDL post I've had and look for a mistake.

Everybody knows RV's are CDL exempt. I just had no idea that anybody could go buy a tractor trailer for personal use without a CDL. My mistake.
I never said you could buy one, although you could.

I think we should discuss air break endorsements next.