Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-20-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

As usual your post serves no purpose other than to boost your ego. My Cellphone comment was to someone from the same state.

See if you actually knew how your GVWR weighyt rating as well as axle ratings come into play when getting checked you would understand what I am saying. However you are only capable of copy and paste.
And once again your wrong about it being illegal to have a trailer with 27k axles being rated at over 15k.

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=FS

So I guess now you can get right on straightening out the trailer manufacturers.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
As usual your post serves no purpose other than to boost your ego. My Cellphone comment was to someone from the same state.

See if you actually knew how your GVWR weighyt rating as well as axle ratings come into play when getting checked you would understand what I am saying. However you are only capable of copy and paste.
And once again your wrong about it being illegal to have a trailer with 27k axles being rated at over 15k.

http://www.pjtrailers.com/detail.cfm?ID=FS

So I guess now you can get right on straightening out the trailer manufacturers.
How's this to burst your ego bubble. I stand corrected. Never heard or seen an "overrated" trailer before. My apologies.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Its not the class A CDL I have problems with. I commute in my pk truck to work for a big city fire department 2-3 days a week. I drive through 6 damn speed traps. Here in TN if you have a CDL even driving private vehicle. You have to go to court for ticket and no short cuts. Sucks...I have a firefighter tag so helps some but I don't like the way treated because of CDL.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 74inchShovel View Post
Well said Yellow Dog, let me add that CDL laws should be about Public safety. Sadly, this is not the case, look at the 1/2 page of exemptions in Washingtons CDL guide. My question to my state rep was "How can you be exempt from public safety??" His response, after a fair amount of stuttering was worthless.
I just noticed this post. Great question.. How can someone be exempted from public safety?
For me, i rarely travel more than 40 miles from home. Almost always rural. I am OCD about making sure my chains are tight, tires are good, truck is in tip top shape, trailer too, and I drive slow and steady.
If I was a farm worker, I haul a heck of a lot more weight on a broken down old manure truck as long as I stayed with 150 miles of the farm. That's an exemption I don't get. I don't haul all day. Just to my job and back and sometimes I leave my trailer for a week or two at a time but because I want to stay under CDL for now, I'm limited to that 26k magic number and that limits the size of machine I'd really like to have. Personally, I think I could do everything I ever wanted to do with a 36k limit but I don't think it will change any time soon. If I get a new 1 ton, from the way trucks are being rated now, I will have to get a CDL and my help and family won't be able to bring me my empty 18 ft 13k trailer or my empty 12,950, 12' dump trailer unless they get their CDL's. Doesn't seem fair.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 09-25-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Shovel and Dog. It really burns my azz how townships, fire protection districts and farmers are given the free pass to look the other way from compliance. I had a road commissioner in my truck the other day while I was on my bluetooth. He said he hoped that he wouldn't have to be forced to use on of those things. Whether has was mandated to or not, he should be. I find it intriguing that local government will spend money for compliance, but when it comes to themselves having to actually be held accountable...hold on there!
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic. -Unknown
Old 09-25-2012, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ioilyouin View Post
I agree with Shovel and Dog. It really burns my azz how townships, fire protection districts and farmers are given the free pass to look the other way from compliance.
As a fireman, I couldn't agree more.

Downright scary riding with some of these guys. They've never operated anything larger than a passenger car and all of a sudden they're running lights and siren in a 40K truck.

I think it's beyond ridiculous, especially when you look at what the drivers' training consists of for the state of Michigan. Parallel parking an engine, going through narrowing lane, backing into a loading dock at a 90* without a spotter, driving forward through a serpentine course then backwards. I think there is one more, but nothing that relates to driving on the road.

I agree with the others too. But the fire one has always amazed me.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Here in DE if you're in a commercial vehicle, regardless of weight, and it's a combination vehicle you have to have your class B license.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landis Logs View Post
Here in DE if you're in a commercial vehicle, regardless of weight, and it's a combination vehicle you have to have your class B license.
I'm sure you can provide us a link proving this, correct?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Classes of License:

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.

Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Class C -- Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that does not meet the definition of Class A or Class B, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is transporting material that has been designated as hazardous under 49 U.S.C. 5103 and is required to be placarded under subpart F of 49 CFR Part 172 or is transporting any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR Part 73.

The above is from the federal CDL site. These are Federal Laws, the only difference from state to state in this is how strictly they enforce these. The more differences found state to state are in other requirements. And a whole new mess starts when you cross state lines or travel 150 airmiles from home.

In most any state, if you are getting paid to drive, example: if your driving for your job and you are on the clock, a commercial liscence of some type is required. (In Missouri it is a class E), And it makes no difference on what size of vehichle, you could be driving a car!
Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydirks View Post
Class The more differences found state to state are in other requirements. And a whole new mess starts when you cross state lines or travel 150 airmiles from home.
Like what?

Quote:
In most any state, if you are getting paid to drive, example: if your driving for your job and you are on the clock, a commercial liscence of some type is required. (In Missouri it is a class E), And it makes no difference on what size of vehichle, you could be driving a car!
There is only a minute handful of state that have anything like a MO's class E or a chauffers license. And not all of them apply to any size vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.