Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,240
Here in Georgia if you do not want to drive then you will have a hard time keeping busy. My average distance to jobs is 30+ miles one way.

According to Federal Law any commercial vehicle with a GVWR of 10k or more has to have a DOT number, fire extinguisher, health card etc. If you are using the vehicle for work than it is commercial. If your state does not enforce it than thats great but it is a Federal law. And there are seperate DOT numbers. Stats and Intrastate.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 08-05-2012, 07:23 PM
4 seasons lawn&land's Avatar
4 seasons lawn&land 4 seasons lawn&land is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,287
mine can be that far or more but luckily we have alot of county and state routes around here. In most cases its quicker to take the small roads until you get an hour or more away.
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 08-05-2012, 07:28 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
wow. do you have a sales and service shop or just sell from your yard? 100 is alot of buying and selling
pretty much just wholesaling them. I sold over half of them to dealers, and the other half on ebay. This year isn't as good as last, only flipped about 27. If obama get elected again, I bet my numbers will increase because everybody will be dumping their equipment again.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:13 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by SP Landscaping View Post
How bout making it a company policy if they have a cdl than you need a med card, and if you have multiple employes it shouldn't be that hard to have them go get the physical. I'd understand it if you had 1 employe and yourself than it would f your day
NPR = no cdl, but you still need a med card.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,777
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
so for intrastate, non-cdl, is DOT asking for medical cards?
10-4...in Georgia anyway...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM
4 seasons lawn&land's Avatar
4 seasons lawn&land 4 seasons lawn&land is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
pretty much just wholesaling them. I sold over half of them to dealers, and the other half on ebay. This year isn't as good as last, only flipped about 27. If obama get elected again, I bet my numbers will increase because everybody will be dumping their equipment again.
ya but whose going to buy it at that point?
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 PM
YellowDogSVC's Avatar
YellowDogSVC YellowDogSVC is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: TX
Posts: 3,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
Here in Georgia if you do not want to drive then you will have a hard time keeping busy. My average distance to jobs is 30+ miles one way.

According to Federal Law any commercial vehicle with a GVWR of 10k or more has to have a DOT number, fire extinguisher, health card etc. If you are using the vehicle for work than it is commercial. If your state does not enforce it than thats great but it is a Federal law. And there are seperate DOT numbers. Stats and Intrastate.
If they enforce that in Texas, there is going to be a lot of farriers, horse traders, etc., that will have to get their numbers. Just about every 1 ton is rated over 10k and where I live, on the edge of a big city like San Antonio, there are a lot of guys who haul cattle (for a fee) and other things.

So you can drive a one ton all day working as a salesman if it's your private vehicle but if you own a business and drive the same truck, you have to go through all the bs?
__________________

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-05-2012, 09:54 PM
4 seasons lawn&land's Avatar
4 seasons lawn&land 4 seasons lawn&land is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 3,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
If they enforce that in Texas, there is going to be a lot of farriers, horse traders, etc., that will have to get their numbers. Just about every 1 ton is rated over 10k and where I live, on the edge of a big city like San Antonio, there are a lot of guys who haul cattle (for a fee) and other things.

So you can drive a one ton all day working as a salesman if it's your private vehicle but if you own a business and drive the same truck, you have to go through all the bs?
ya its always been that way here but its rarely enforced. However I know guys that have been ticketed in business lettered trucks that were UNDER 10k. One in an S10
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 08-05-2012, 09:55 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
If they enforce that in Texas, there is going to be a lot of farriers, horse traders, etc., that will have to get their numbers. Just about every 1 ton is rated over 10k and where I live, on the edge of a big city like San Antonio, there are a lot of guys who haul cattle (for a fee) and other things.

So you can drive a one ton all day working as a salesman if it's your private vehicle but if you own a business and drive the same truck, you have to go through all the bs?
Farming is exempt. That includes livestock and the service of them.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 PM
muddywater muddywater is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
ya but whose going to buy it at that point?
overseas market and people that pay cash... alot of mine last year went to south america and australia and business owners that had alot of cash on hand.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 PM.

Page generated in 0.08031 seconds with 7 queries