Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Troubleshooting a bad pto clutch

I have a fairly new country clipper charger sr1005 that has recently developed a tempermental clutch. It would work for 10 min. and then abruptly turn off. There was no belt problems or other obstructions, it was running smooth and would stop. After the mower was stored for a day it would come on again with the same result. I took the wiring schematic of the mower and tested the pto switch. All the functions are OK. I pulled the plug apart at the clutch and had 13.5 volts at the cap with motor running and the pto switch engaged. I checked the clutch with an ohmmeter and it had no resistance. I assume the coil in the clutch must create some resistance so I have come to the conclusion it must have a loose connection on the magnets.(There is only 200 hrs on the mower and the deck was cutting strong before this so I doubt if it is worn out. Probably a bad soldering job that broke off the coil). Is there anything I may have missed. Would changing the PTO be something I could do. ( When I tryed to get the bolt holding it on the shaft off The whole flywheel spun so I couldn't remove it to visibly inpect the clutch. Any advice would be helpful.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes you need to have some resistance in the clutch. The lower the number the better. But OL is not good. If it only happens when hot after running I would suspect the clutch us shot. You can try to adjust it, but that's only a temp fix. To get it off,,impact then puller
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered the clutch. If I lift the rear end and put jackstands under it will the angle be to severe for the fluids or should I drain the oil beforehand.?
Old 08-02-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

No u should be ok. Just let the mower settle before you start it
Posted via Mobile Device