Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-16-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post
it's not an issue of NOT making money. money is tooo easy to make it's the expanding part that hit's a person hard.

Totally agree--shush on the 'easy to make money in Texas' !

I tell people that when you look around this country you see money everywhere...just waiting to be spent on something...you just have to figure how to get it legally
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohiaa View Post

then do the RIGHT thing with money. I am getting RIGHT NOW 27% on some of my moneys. and mainly just living off interest.
SOme people dont belive this. and I would LOVE to share how it';s done.
it's NOT that hard.
I wanna know where you are getting 27% on your money

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
www.ClarksvilleLawnCare.us

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

2 3man crews ..........plenty big enough...........
2009 John Deere Z925A
2010 John Deere Z445
2004 Exmark 36" Metro
21" HRB216 Honda
misc
6.5x12 w/curb gate
Stihl BR420
Redmax 8001
Echo SRM230
Stihl FS90
Echo HC150
Shindaiwa LE260
Old 08-17-2012, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post

A better question would be what % of guys on lawnsite gross under 50k a year? That number would very likely be 50-65%

Or what % of guys on lawnsite make anywhere near the numbers they dreamed of when they got the guts to finally jump into business ownership?
i would agree. i would even go a step or two further and say 70-80% of guys on here don't even gross 100-200k but act like they do
Old 08-18-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would agree as well. One thing to talk on here and another to do it. That is the reason I am not on here much or chit chat about the 6x10 trailer I bought all while talking smack. Good discussion though.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I tell people that when you look around this country you see money everywhere...just waiting to be spent on something...you just have to figure how to get it legally

There's money being spent on landscaping out the wazu, at least around here. I see wayy too many 1mil and over houses being bought with two or three 100K cars sitting in the driveway to think there's no money out there.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I am thinking I want to grow to 15 employees not including me. I am 1/5 of the way there.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly's Landscaping View Post
Well that hits close to home and it is something my partner and I have been debating a lot lately. And we may simply fire both our guys this coming season and replace them with 4 new ones at much more affordable pay rates. Set up a new plan that allows us to concentrate on where we make the most money our lawn cuts while eliminating the stuff that has us getting slammed with OT every week. We currently do 185 accounts perhaps a few more with 2 two man crews mowing Wen-Fri we work extreme hours on those days and have the weekends to cover any weather or equipment issues. But that leaves Monday and Tuesday where we do all the side work the accounts generate but they only seem to cost us money. Sure some days we do hit grand slams and bang out 2 k worth of work but we do 1600-2000 a day mowing. But mostly we settle for 500-700 days chasing trimming jobs and working on our equipment.

Where if we bump up to 2 three man crews 4 days a week cutting 300 accounts with one guy getting one cutting day off so he can join me on Mondays. And my partner can continue his fert work solo on Mondays then we should see a massive increase in sales. Instead of 5k and change a week from mowing that will jump to 9k and change. and the Mondays will not be squandered as they often are now because there is no tomorrow. But the best part is the pay will be based on 4 day work weeks so 40-45 hours would be the norm not 55-60s. So the guys get a taste of OT but not enough to crush us under it like happens now.

I guess that counts as a plan now if I can make it work we should see sales move from 240k to 375k in one year from just 2 employees more but at the cost of just one since the current set up is to inefficient and kills us in OT

If you can not admit something is broken you can not plan how to fix it. And my guys making more then I do doesn't sit well with me.
Man, you sound a lot like me. We have very similar situations and similar numbers too...it's actually kinda crazy, i have a partner as well and he does the chemicals...i do the irrigation...and we have a full time mowing crew...

i hear you on the side jobs, sometime they don't seem to make a lot of sense as far as revenue goes...and they aren't as dry cut as mowing is...mowing you show up, you mow, and you leave...clean ups can change while you are on the job, maybe a customer now wants mulch from the bed you cleaned up and now you have to plan for it, have to have your mulch truck, know exactly how much mulch to be put down which is never 100% accurate, etc...

i feel mowing you can do $800 -$1200 per crew per day...that's not chump change...it makes me want to focus more on mowing than expanding into other areas...we might just stay more turf oriented and try to cover the field (mowing, chemicals, irrigation)

i agree with the other guy, i think you guys should focus your mowing more towards the beginning of the week...then when you are done with mowing you can focus on your other stuff and get that done in order in which they come in...i'm sure you have some customers that want their lawn mowed towards the end of the week, especially friday, so it's easier said than done...
Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Generating more than 800 per day with a 2 man mowing crew is tough but it can be done.

I will say however Mowing is not a huge money maker when running crews but it does feed the beast. It creates cash flow, it buys and pays for EQ, pays shop rent and even puts some change in the owners hands.

Squirt and Fert / Irrigation repairs are good money. Landscape can be hit or miss. You should not lose money but you may or may not make a ton of money as it is more like construction.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I am thinking I want to grow to 15 employees not including me. I am 1/5 of the way there.
The same here! Only got three right now though, looking at next year to be another good growing year though. If all goes well should be able to go to five possibly six.