Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-02-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Thickening my Bermuda

I have about a one acre yard that i started from scratch. I used Sahara from Lowes and I hae good coverage but it is not as thick as I would like it. I am thinking of cuuting it to one inch and detaching as I seem to have a half to three quarter layer of thatch from mulching. I am also going to use a slit seeder to overseed Am I on the right track here?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If using a reel at 1", yes. If not, don't bother. Yes, you need to scalp, verticut, then sand. An acre is going to be a lot of work. You may want to hire a professional.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes I have access to a large reel mower and my yard has no undulations. Is the excess thatch the biggest growth inhibitor? I have been cutting and bagging at two inches this year and have a 30 day fertilization schedule.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimq1 View Post
Yes I have access to a large reel mower and my yard has no undulations. Is the excess thatch the biggest growth inhibitor? I have been cutting and bagging at two inches this year and have a 30 day fertilization schedule.
A yard without undulations? That's what you think now and you will soon find out how rough it actually is.

I don't see how you could have a thatch problem on newly seeded lawn. 1/2" thatch is good. And if mulching correctly it will not create thatch.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like a lot of people are re-embracing Bermuda grasses. This is good. 30 years ago these were the premium southern lawns. They do well with a little attention and are amazing with top notch care.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Seems like a lot of people are re-embracing Bermuda grasses. This is good. 30 years ago these were the premium southern lawns. They do well with a little attention and are amazing with top notch care.
People are finally understanding they are not fescue or bluegrass and need to be cut shorter!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've renovated almost 2 acres in Sunstar common Bermuda in the last 4 years. You can read about my renovation here: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ighlight=avguy

I ran a Harley rake and then a rockhound over my property before seeding and it is still rough in spots. I would be shocked if you could run a reel mower over your property without a little prep work first. Also, Bermuda likes to be fed. Up until this year I put down 32-3-8 at 3.1 lbs/k in June, July & August. Because of the drought conditions we have experienced this year I was advised by my local JD/Lesco guy to put down 5-10-31 for my August app. I'm mowing every 3 days @ 2" with a rotary mower.

Have you had a soil test done? That will help you determine more than anything what your lawn needs. My soil was very acidic at 4.9 PH. It took me a couple of years before I got it where it needs to be. Good Luck! Scott
Old 08-03-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry forgot to mention my yard and home are now three years old.
Old 08-05-2012, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

You need a soil test or at least find out what the pH is. Fert won't work if the pH is off. Cutting low definitely encourages lateral growth.