Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-02-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

cut height for lawns

I was mowing my two St.Augustine lawns next to each other as the neighbor was mowing his. I was cutting my lawns at 4.5 inches. He was cutting his with a hand mower and pratically scalping it . What a difference the lawns can make at the proper cut height. He kept looking over at the nice lawns I was cutting. His lawn looked rough after he cut it. Why do some home owners think grass should be cut short. I was thinking about walking over there and telling him about it. But some poeple just cant figure that cutting grass high will look better. I cut my own lawn at 5.25 on the St.Aug. Most of my neighbors think I have different grass than them because it looks different when cut that high. I cut healthy bahia at 4 and 4.25inches and St.Aug between 4 and 4.5 . I would love to cut all the St.Aug at 5 inches but I may get a few calls that I am cutting to high. My Zoyia grass is cut at 4 to 4.5 inches. What you guys cutting the grass
at?
Old 08-02-2012, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You know i cut them high as we have discussed this before. The home owner may not know any better and most likely his push mower may not even go up to 4 inches. This is always a selling opp in my opinion if you catch them looking at the turf you are cutting. And with temps in the high 90's what better day than today to reach out to them about your service. On many occassion i have picked customers from talking to them about proper cut height, sharp blades, and simply watching them get feed up on days like today when the heat and sun are taking their toll on the home owner. I persoannly think it is worth the 5 to 10 minutes worth of talking to potentially pick up another account next to one you are already servicing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Poet: I know you cut St.Aug at 5 but what about your healthy bahia grass?
Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by williams lcm View Post
Poet: I know you cut St.Aug at 5 but what about your healthy bahia grass?
Right now 4 ... any lower would be creating a nightmare for myself. As is most are getting double cut to remove the clippings and give a clean finish....which is fine as in about 9 weeks I that will not be so.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-02-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Floratam:4" Palmetto:3.75" Seville:3.25-3.5" Empire Zoysia:1.75" with reel Diamond Zoysia:.75" when I used to do Bahia:4" in growing season, 2.5" in winter
Posted via Mobile Device