Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Have the ability and time management skills to care for your curent clients before takeing on more
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
And for the guy that says to do the mowing on a 10 day schedule, that would have put the mowing on Sunday. How many of you guys cut on Sunday, not counting if you're behind because of rain? I can guarantee not one of us does, at least they shouldn't.
Posted via Mobile Device
you said it was on a 10 day schedule in your first post. If you don't want to work weekends don't do 10 day schedules!
Simple as that. And actually if the grass needs cut it gets cut whether it's a Sunday or not aslong as the client is ok with it. I try not to work on Sundays its the only day I get off. But if it means staying on schedule I feel like the lord knows I'm doing it for my family and not beer money.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2012, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I never have understood a 10 day interval, however dealing with ppl is part of the business and sometimes how you deal with these ppl can make or break referrals or the general impression your business leaves on the public.

I have delt with stuff like this by only getting back to them during work hours and not answering after hours and like others have said just tell her when you can do it and show up and do it.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing wrong with doing the 10 day schedule and ending up on Friday at 9 days instead of saturday to make it fit into your schedule without having to work saturday. I hate working weekends unless I'm too busy. Besides, Some people don't want mowers going on saturday anyway.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's Lawnservice View Post
How do you maintain a yard mowing every 10 days without working on a Saturday.
It is this very conundrum which prevents me from even considering 10 day cuts. My schedule is built around weekly maintenance and to have some goofball messing up the schedule with 10 day cuts is unacceptable.

Old 08-03-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
Richard, how did you charge her with using her electric trimmer? If I read that correctly anyway
By the hour. Standard rate. It was a double edged shear but one side wouldn't cut. The results were ugly but she was happy and that's all that matters. I blew the clippings out onto the lawn and dispatched them with the G6s that are on my Dixie.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll do every 10 days but if it falls on a weekend it will be done on Friday or Monday. I went out there yesterday, the lawn will now be weekly as it grew a ton and it hardly rained and she didn't water. I told her I had more properties to get to on that day and I'd be back next week to do the shrub trimming and she was fine with it. I quoted her a price for it and she liked it and it'll be handled next week.

Also landed some work from a moron I know that I race motocross with that has started a company and the best thing about it was that the client couldn't believe how much I knew about what I was talking about (in regards to fert & weeds in the lawn) as opposed to the other guy who didn't know anything and his prices were less than half mine, idk how he stays in business....either that or he charges barely anything to get work but his margins are so low that he'd never be able to even have a house or more vehicles than a work truck, etc.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric's Lawnservice View Post
you said it was on a 10 day schedule in your first post. If you don't want to work weekends don't do 10 day schedules!
Simple as that. And actually if the grass needs cut it gets cut whether it's a Sunday or not aslong as the client is ok with it. I try not to work on Sundays its the only day I get off. But if it means staying on schedule I feel like the lord knows I'm doing it for my family and not beer money.
Posted via Mobile Device
I do this to provide a living for myself and the lifestyle I live as well as a family I'll have later on. This business is the beginning of a long career ahead of me.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

10 day scedule sounds like a nightmare.
I cant see what the big deal is with a couple hour trim job??
Old 08-04-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmmm, I never thought that "10 days" cycle would be so difficult.

I have two of them, side by side. I cut them on Tuesday and the next Friday afternoon/Saturday morning. In other words, two cuts every three weeks. That seems pretty simple to me, and I never thought about it being a hassle.

One property is that of a widow, and she is not there very often. The other is a man who works out of country often, leaves for 3, 4, 5 weeks at a time (hence the need for my services). Neither of them give a hoot that one cycle might be one day different from the next one. On this basis, one way or the other makes little difference. I've been working these properties for at least 12 years, maybe 14 years.

Why make something so simple difficult?