The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would have already dropped her.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roger.... I have accounts that have to be done on certain days because the sprinklers are programmed off on the day I come. So if a 10 day account falls on on of those days it cant get done. Being solo its hard enough to deal with the weather and the extra stuff people often want, but a 10 day scedule wouldnt work for me. Ive had a few on a "on call" basis but they quit calling once you can no longer get to them in a day or two.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I would have already dropped her.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was able to sell her into going weekly with services & I know ill be able to sell her more, as of right now it is worth the slight stress.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
I was able to sell her into going weekly with services & I know ill be able to sell her more, as of right now it is worth the slight stress.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is it man! When you have a PITA you upsell them.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
That is it man! When you have a PITA you upsell them.
I like your style lol
Old 08-05-2012, 06:16 AM

I sometimes have homeowners tell me to use their equipment. Every time it is to save them money. I then tell them, that the only way I make money is to use my equipment. That I don't want to be responsible if their equipment breaks down. You could accidentally cut the electric cord with the hedge trimmers. You could burn the motor up and have to pay for it. I have also had them tell me that they would do the cleanup only to have to mow around the debris for months.
I don't mow on weekends either, so when the 10th day arrives on Saturday or Sunday then it is mowing is moved to Monday or Tuesday. I discourage 10 day schedules because of this and the fact the job could fall on a day that was already loaded with jobs.
I don't mind people telling me how they want stuff done, but don't tell me what equipment to use. By the hour is fine with me. If they don't do the cleanup like they said then it will sit their until doomsday before I do it--unless they pay extra for me to do it.
If you run your business professionally then there are some things you don't let the customers dictate. A lot less stressful and confusing if your run it your way. Many of them have never been in business for themselves.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the cleint does not want to pay to haul off and dispose of debris generated from the job then we bundle it and leave it at the curb. We do not leave trash in someones yard period.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
If the cleint does not want to pay to haul off and dispose of debris generated from the job then we bundle it and leave it at the curb. We do not leave trash in someones yard period.
Duekster's got it right. If anything, talk to PITA & say all that you ask is for them to clean it up in timely manner. Telll them this is a reflection of your business. If customer leaves clipping lay around for a period of time, a potential customer may see this & say "I'm not hiring that guy!"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Most counties in SC don't have curbside yard waste pick up. Many cities do have curbside yard waste pick up. They don't want contractors dumping a lot of stuff on curbs. You can get away with dumping the smaller jobs. I wouldn't cut down a big oak and dump it on the curb
Old 08-05-2012, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Most counties in SC don't have curbside yard waste pick up. Many cities do have curbside yard waste pick up. They don't want contractors dumping a lot of stuff on curbs. You can get away with dumping the smaller jobs. I wouldn't cut down a big oak and dump it on the curb
Nontheless, I would not leave slash scattered about. It would get stacked. Often clients want to save some money but they do not realize how much work is in the clean up.

I actually did leave a large maple on the curb. It was over 6 yards of waste. The city charged 85 to pick it up. That was a deal for everyone involved.