Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Nontheless, I would not leave slash scattered about. It would get stacked. Often clients want to save some money but they do not realize how much work is in the clean up.

I actually did leave a large maple on the curb. It was over 6 yards of waste. The city charged 85 to pick it up. That was a deal for everyone involved.
Yea, I just meant pick up for free. Probably would charge people. I haven't had a problem of customer leaving any large amounts debris laying around
Old 08-05-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What part of SC? I have family there. Around columbia and in the woods around Kershaw.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:21 AM

The Upstate part
Old 08-09-2012, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-09-2012, 06:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
don't giver her any excuses at all. Just tell her, I have a full schedule today, I can trim them for X on Xday. That's all there is to it.
Exactly how it should be handled.

Very simple and to the point. This will also solve the problem of who is running your company as well as if she will continue to be a customer.

Only thing I would add is that it would be done with my equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
Roger.... I have accounts that have to be done on certain days because the sprinklers are programmed off on the day I come. So if a 10 day account falls on on of those days it cant get done. Being solo its hard enough to deal with the weather and the extra stuff people often want, but a 10 day scedule wouldnt work for me. Ive had a few on a "on call" basis but they quit calling once you can no longer get to them in a day or two.
You do know that controllers can be changed, don't you?

All of our accounts (except during this drought) don't run the morning we are scheduled to mow. We adjust the controllers to our schedule, not to the controllers.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is too good. So Monday night after a long day I was relaxing watching American Greed (my new favorite show, never wanna miss an episode), its about 12:30am, my phone then starts ringing and it was her. Didn't answer, she left another 2 min long voicemail explaining how she thought we'd be coming on Tuesday morning to trim the shrubs (with my equipment, mind you) and not to come because now supposedly her family is going to come over & do it (eyes looking up smiley). I told her last week when I quoted her it would be Wednesday at the earliest we'd be there.
Not sure what she was thinking but I can certainly say I've never had a client call me at that time of day and probably never will except during a snow storm.

And as to what the guy that had a client "handle" the trimmings and had to mow around them for weeks on end, you're definitely right about that, mowed there today and the trimmings from one of her weigela she did herself were still in the exact same location as last week
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2012, 06:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Time to say "Good bye" to this former customer.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Time to say "Good bye" to this former customer.
Call back at 6:30 AM too
Old 08-10-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

An extra measure of understanding and patience is required when dealing with the elderly. With the higher rate of age related illness, medications (negative reactions to), and the aging of the brain (senility), you can expect things like this to happen.

An employer had a lady calling him at three and four in the morning wondering where he was. In spite of the dark of night she was so confused as to not understand why he wasn't there painting her rooms.
I pin much of it on medications taken by the elderly. Saw it in my parents, saw it in aging customers.
Out of concern for the elderly customer it might be a good idea when weird things happen, to contact a family member of theirs, and let them know of any difficulty you had. They may not be aware of the full extent of the confusion and disorientation their parent or sibling may be going through.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

She is not elderly. She's no older than 45 or so. She's a single mom though and has 1 daughter. Everything is good when it comes to the mowing, she doesn't call about that ever.
Posted via Mobile Device