Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2012, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why Commercial Work?

With all the fuss and posts from new guys about wanting commercial work. Only positive I ever seem to get out of it is that my truck is seen at that bushiness for at least 1 hour each week, while cars stuck in traffic drive by they see it. Other then that I would take residential all day long.

In 1-2 words why is commercial perceived as the "best"?
Old 08-05-2012, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Commerical often is billed monthly year round. Commerical is often full service.
Commercial under contract is pretty flexible in timing of other services.

Sorry it is not one or two words.

Pros and cons to both offerings. Having a mix is good IMHO
Old 08-05-2012, 08:01 AM
LawnSite Member

plus you can do them early and on the weekends if you have to.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by die4irish View Post
Exactly, you can be on the job at sun up and no one cares.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Commerical often is billed monthly year round. Commerical is often full service. Good Idea.
Commercial under contract is pretty flexible in timing of other services. Yeah I guess, but here half the year is winter so unless your doing the snow I doubt many business' would go for that.

Pros and cons to both offerings. Having a mix is good IMHO
Good Idea.

Quote:
I understand this, maybe I am lazy in that I do not want to work before 9AM or on weekends. Point is though they are a little more flexible on when it can be done as long as it gets done?
Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you do snow? If so then you work out a contract to include the basics with surcharges for rates. If they are not on a contract then they fall behind those at are on contract.

I am from the south. I do not do snow. Would never consider snow unless someone wanted a seasonal contract with some contengency for heavy snow.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Bingo. Most commercials pay atleast 3x what a residential accnt does. Less whining from commercials.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

ommercial accounts are great if you have the right ones. I happen to have one that pays 30 days in advance each month. I'm always "owing" them the service rather then the opposite of them owing me money for something I did 30 days ago. They are a full service account that last year when I signed up with them the lady told me they wanted the whole place cleaned up and a bunch of other work done that the "other" LCO would only cut the grass and did so for over 10 years. They never trimmed the sidewalk or curbs edges and the place looked rough. Fast forward to today and the place has mulched beds around the front entrance, all the trees are cut in and mulched, the grass is being treated for weed control and fert and "the place has never looked so nice" was the comment I got last time. The next thing she said, don't worry about losing our business, it's yours for however long you want to do it! I kinda know her but not personally. I don't have a contract or anything. All under verbal agreement. We both have a list of the specific jobs that get done throughout the season. As long as they get done, they are happy. They had a company sales meeting 2 weeks ago with high up clients and management comment on how nice the place looks. That made my day. Sorry for the long post.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
Bingo. Most commercials pay at least 3x what a residential account does. Less whining from commercials.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree. I make way more per minute on the commercial then any residential. Plus I can cut it any time during the weekend. For those that say they don't work weekends, I'm going on 20+ days straight without a day off. I'm almost 2 months out on work scheduled besides mowing. You have to take it while it's there or lose it.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Do you do snow? If so then you work out a contract to include the basics with surcharges for rates. If they are not on a contract then they fall behind those at are on contract.

I am from the south. I do not do snow. Would never consider snow unless someone wanted a seasonal contract with some contengency for heavy snow.
I do snow, but not at the parking lot level. no plows or skids for me yet anyway.I do have a sanding truck though I suppose I could look at subbing the plowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I agree. I make way more per minute on the commercial then any residential. Plus I can cut it any time during the weekend. For those that say they don't work weekends, I'm going on 20+ days straight without a day off. I'm almost 2 months out on work scheduled besides mowing. You have to take it while it's there or lose it.
I lied, I worked the last two weekends because of weather but Sunday in my day, and Saturday is my rain day.

Last edited by Dave does lawns; 08-05-2012 at 10:13 AM.