Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlcare2 View Post
looks like somebody is asking to get their blowers yanked..
I totally agree. That rig may appeal to the lowball customers, but if you want to make money, the people with the money to pay a "real" service wouldn't want to have that rig seen in their vicinity. Presentation is worth $. Period. Not that our new rig is anything fancy, but it looks good enough sitting in front of a million dollar home.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMlandscaping View Post
I totally agree. That rig may appeal to the lowball customers, but if you want to make money, the people with the money to pay a "real" service wouldn't want to have that rig seen in their vicinity. Presentation is worth $. Period. Not that our new rig is anything fancy, but it looks good enough sitting in front of a million dollar home.
It doesn't have to be a brand new 50-K rig. Like you said, clean and presentable. Appearance goes a long way with people. You pull up in a best up truck leaking oil, the people probably aren't going to be willing to pay you a whole lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
It doesn't have to be a brand new 50-K rig. Like you said, clean and presentable. Appearance goes a long way with people. You pull up in a best up truck leaking oil, the people probably aren't going to be willing to pay you a whole lot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, exactly my point. Being in south Florida, I've found the market to be way different than in the west central part. there seems to be less "cheezy" companies down here. I could be wrong, but we'll see......
Old 08-13-2012, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yes, exactly my point. Being in south Florida, I've found the market to be way different than in the west central part. there seems to be less "cheezy" companies down here. I could be wrong, but we'll see......
Where in s fl are you??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Where in s fl are you??
Posted via Mobile Device
Our Palm Beach County business is located in Boynton Beach, but our equipment is in Wellington. We're Focusing our advertising in Wellington and Royal Palm Beach for the time being. As we grow (hopefully) we will try to service the whole Palm Beach County area, and get a couple of commercial rigs at work. That's obviously going to take some time, so for now we're focusing on mainly high end residential in this area. The market down here is (in my opinion) way different than the Tampa area. Up in central Fl , we actually have cold weather and freezes. Down here, they seem to be fairly rare. You wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference, but we're still learning.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Our Palm Beach County business is located in Boynton Beach, but our equipment is in Wellington. We're Focusing our advertising in Wellington and Royal Palm Beach for the time being. As we grow (hopefully) we will try to service the whole Palm Beach County area, and get a couple of commercial rigs at work. That's obviously going to take some time, so for now we're focusing on mainly high end residential in this area. The market down here is (in my opinion) way different than the Tampa area. Up in central Fl , we actually have cold weather and freezes. Down here, they seem to be fairly rare. You wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference, but we're still learning.
I had an account in Wellington I lost cause the owner thought it was too much...be careful out there...lot of lowballing and cheapos. What's your companies name?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
DM

You and many members here have what I call the Willie Sutton syndrome. Willie Sutton was a famous bank robber who was ask why he robbed banks. His answer was BECAUSE THAT WHERE THE MONEY IS. My point is you think the only way to make it in the Green Industry is to go after the Upscale full service customers.

If you re-read Zturncutter's and my earlier post in this thread, We discuss making great money and less stress in working class markets. I know Zturncutter, he lives about 8 miles from me. He and I have both been in the green industry for many moons. We both have been there and done that on the Upscale High dollar homes with the Million Dollar Boat tied to the dock in the back yard. But after year of busting our hump for the rich we realize there is just as much if not more money in Mow & Go. The point is, there is more than one way to skin the cat. Don't knock the equipment because it has some rust. A little Paint and Polish and this equipment is good to go and a very possible money maker with the right Business plan.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
DM

You and many members here have what I call the Willie Sutton syndrome. Willie Sutton was a famous bank robber who was ask why he robbed banks. His answer was BECAUSE THAT WHERE THE MONEY IS. My point is you think the only way to make it in the Green Industry is to go after the Upscale full service customers.

If you re-read Zturncutter's and my earlier post in this thread, We discuss making great money and less stress in working class markets. I know Zturncutter, he lives about 8 miles from me. He and I have both been in the green industry for many moons. We both have been there and done that on the Upscale High dollar homes with the Million Dollar Boat tied to the dock in the back yard. But after year of busting our hump for the rich we realize there is just as much if not more money in Mow & Go. The point is, there is more than one way to skin the cat. Don't knock the equipment because it has some rust. A little Paint and Polish and this equipment is good to go and a very possible money maker with the right Business plan.

Ric,

Please stop posting so much, some of these guys may start to listen. I like the competition just the way it is
Old 08-13-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ric, I don't disagree with what you said. However, it is not all about the $$ for me. I take a lot of pride and doing something a little different than just mow and go. I def. don't want to be another grass cutter. You can make money both ways. The big companies around here who make the big money aren't mow and go either....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ric, I don't disagree with what you said. However, it is not all about the $$ for me. I take a lot of pride and doing something a little different than just mow and go. I def. don't want to be another grass cutter. You can make money both ways. The big companies around here who make the big money aren't mow and go either....
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually I have commercial detail type accounts as well as ranches and mow and go, very carefully picked out for profit. Many Big companies aren't showing the PROFIT you think they are. Many years ago I worked for a company that was mostly landscape install, I was one of two salesman/designers that worked on commission.Two years before they went under we hit 1.5 Mil in sales, appearances can be very decieving.