Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Ric, I don't disagree with what you said. However, it is not all about the $$ for me. I take a lot of pride and doing something a little different than just mow and go. I def. don't want to be another grass cutter. You can make money both ways. The big companies around here who make the big money aren't mow and go either....
Posted via Mobile Device
Again, I agree with diamondlandscaping. I'm new to this forum, but NOT new to forums, so online "debates" don't interest me in the least. If you just want to be a mow-n-go, then so be it. We have never been "just" that, and we have our sights set a little higher in S. FL. too. That plan could fail, but it won't be because we didn't try. It is what it is. Prepare for failure, and celebrate the victory! LOL!

Last edited by DMlandscaping; 08-13-2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
Actually I have commercial detail type accounts as well as ranches and mow and go, very carefully picked out for profit. Many Big companies aren't showing the PROFIT you think they are. Many years ago I worked for a company that was mostly landscape install, I was one of two salesman/designers that worked on commission.Two years before they went under we hit 1.5 Mil in sales, appearances can be very decieving.
The companies I'm talking of have been around for at least 15 years...one of them 32...sure, looks can be deceiving, but there is a reason these companies ONLY work in one area...it is very profitable. How big are the ranches you maintain??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the ranches was over 50 square miles, some of it has been sold off over the last several years. We have to drive 3 miles across the property to mow the 11.5 acres that we maintain. Honestly don't know the current size of the property.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
One of the ranches was over 50 square miles, some of it has been sold off over the last several years. We have to drive 3 miles across the property to mow the 11.5 acres that we maintain. Honestly don't know the current size of the property.
Damn...that's nice...is it nice $$??? I'd love to get a property like that here.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2012, 06:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes it is .
Old 08-14-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
DM

You and many members here have what I call the Willie Sutton syndrome. Willie Sutton was a famous bank robber who was ask why he robbed banks. His answer was BECAUSE THAT WHERE THE MONEY IS. My point is you think the only way to make it in the Green Industry is to go after the Upscale full service customers.

If you re-read Zturncutter's and my earlier post in this thread, We discuss making great money and less stress in working class markets. I know Zturncutter, he lives about 8 miles from me. He and I have both been in the green industry for many moons. We both have been there and done that on the Upscale High dollar homes with the Million Dollar Boat tied to the dock in the back yard. But after year of busting our hump for the rich we realize there is just as much if not more money in Mow & Go. The point is, there is more than one way to skin the cat. Don't knock the equipment because it has some rust. A little Paint and Polish and this equipment is good to go and a very possible money maker with the right Business plan.

Agree with above--over 30 years in the business--perfection is fine as long as you are being compensated for it-
- the higher the price, the higher the stress and demands and I have'nt been able to be able to justify the difference-
--seems like the industry is trending toward people becoming more thrify, not less
I see just as many rusty, hobbled up riggs taking care of commercial, and residential as I see slick riggs-
-most people here don't come outside and want to see what's happening-- they want you to do the work and get outta dodge so they can go on living their lives with the least disruption-
more power to you for the high end customers--not my bag
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 08-14-2012, 09:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Agree with above--over 30 years in the business--perfection is fine as long as you are being compensated for it-
- the higher the price, the higher the stress and demands and I have'nt been able to be able to justify the difference-

--seems like the industry is trending toward people becoming more thrify, not less
I see just as many rusty, hobbled up riggs taking care of commercial, and residential as I see slick riggs-
-most people here don't come outside and want to see what's happening-- they want you to do the work and get outta dodge so they can go on living their lives with the least disruption-
more power to you for the high end customers--not my bag
IMHO It is an EGO thing. We all want to be the best. Then reality finally set in. Took a few years. My Numbers are a lot lower but I have more jingle in my pocket now. My expenses are a lot lower and my Bottom line is fine. I realize now because I was charging big money I was spending more time on details. I was charging more and making less. Now I am charging less and making more.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

I don't think there is a right or wrong market to pursue, it has a lot to do with where you're marketing. In my area, the middle class neighborhoods are paying ridiculously low prices. I don't know how some of these lawn services stay in business, except for the fact that they don't have fancy new equipment, and they keep their overhead low. I live in what I consider an "upper" middle class neighborhood, nothing fancy, but it's clean and everyone has their properties in nice shape. All of the properties here are around .4 acres, and the highest price anyone is paying is $20 per week for a cut, trim, edge, blow, and basic tree pruning. I just can't afford to compete with that, and I don't intend to. I have a good friend that is fairly well off financially, has about a .5 mil. home, sitting on about the same size property as ours. She pays her current service $65 per service, and say's they are one of the less expensive services in the area. Anyway, in MY area, it doesn't make any sense to compete with all the lowballers, when I can drive another mile up the road and find someone who doesn't mind paying a little extra for a quality job, and a company with a neat and clean appearance. I'm basically following the same business profile my partner in Tampa did, and adjusting for the area. Granted, I could be wrong, but I won't know if I don't try.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I don't think there is a right or wrong market to pursue, it has a lot to do with where you're marketing.
I don't think Harvard Business College could say it any better. One of their big advantage is knowing what to reseach in a Market. But the bottom line is the more you know about your market the better able you are to have a sucessful business plan.

It is a bad time to be a start up business of any kind. The problem with the green Industry is every out of work guy is cutting grass. They just roll out the mower with no Marketing or business plan. Because they have no real marketing plan when they finally bid a job it is too cheap. Knowing this becomes part of your marketing plan and build your business to compete with it by being more professional. That doesn't mean full service.

Now my Mow & Go is actually Spray & Go or Fire Ant Control. I work the same middle class neighborhoods. Only exception is I now spray NON IRRIGATED yards instead of Fert & Squirt on Irrigated Fine Yards.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Too bad you're on the west coast, I need to network with a reputable spray op. Speaking of that, if anyone here is in PBC doing pest control, PM me. I have a couple I'm thinking about, but nothing is carved in stone yet.