Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-14-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Golf Maintenance taking over home lawns

Hey guys,

Have been reading posts on this site for some time and finally have a reason to join the discussion!

The crew who was doing all of our villa mowing and trimming has decided to call it quits so my golf course is going to be taking over the maintenance of a large number of home lawns around the golf course. None of them have fences. None with great slopes. Relatively low maintenance.

I would like your thoughts on a few things:

1. Stander or riding mower?
2. Which brand is most reliable?
3. Is bigger better or is smaller more versatile? 48"? 52"? 60"?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 11-14-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Are you a hoa or gated community president?? How many homes? What's your budget? What does the golf course have already in terms of rotary mowers??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like the 48 in deck size for most residential yards, however a close family friend who also runs a lawn business runs 60in mowers. I feel like 48 is the way to go on resi yards and then a 72 for more wide open areas. I would also rather have a rider than a stander. I prefer gravely mowers, I've ran them since I started mowng ten years ago. Gravelys product line is excellent these days. Models I would consider are the Pro Turn 148, Pro Turn 460 diesel or Pro Turn 472 diesel. If the yards are larger lots without any tight spaces I would consider a 60, if they're tight then a 48. My proturn 48 zips around resi yards very quick and is very protuctive on lots up to about 3 acres.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-14-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Can't go wrong with the Gravely Proturn 148. like stated above, we zip through small residential lots. With a good operator trimming is minimal. My dealer also offers great customer service.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Most (but not all) golf maintenance crew's have their hand's full just keeping the golf course mowed out on a weekly basis. I'll bet if this had come up in the middle of summer it would be a different story. But without more detail's that is really just conjecture. On the surface of it this sound's like both the home's and the course could suffer. Good luck.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unljayhawk View Post
Hey guys,

Have been reading posts on this site for some time and finally have a reason to join the discussion!

The crew who was doing all of our villa mowing and trimming has decided to call it quits so my golf course is going to be taking over the maintenance of a large number of home lawns around the golf course. None of them have fences. None with great slopes. Relatively low maintenance.

Thanks,
Tim
Look at the properties and measure the tight places. Then decide on which size deck you need. Realize sometimes a smaller deck will actually save you time if you have to use a string trimmer less. As for brands I guess that is the old Chevy vs. Ford question. I've owned Hustler, Exmark & JD. All good in there own ways. I run mostly the JD now for the Mulch-0n-Demand feature. Which dealers do you have close and will they provide good service is the question you may want to ask yourself. Prob would recommend a sit-down you mentioned most areas are wide open.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Well, Tim...

They're adjacent to the golf course, these properties...

I'd use the same WAM that does the fairways, swing right in to their yards, knock them out, have someone else come in behind trimming.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that's going to call for hard turns and swift changes and all sorts of a learning curve and experience coming down slope so dang fast you won't know what to do, but ... How else were you thinking about learning this business, hands on brother, nothing beats hands on.

In terms of versatility, I'd tell you 48" but they keep adding these dang steel strips to the sides of the deck making it 1/2" wider than a true four foot measure so then it won't FIT through the effing 4-foot wide gate... On account of that I might go with a 44" but most likely you'll still need at least one 21"
Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Golf courses are already operating with the minimum personal available while trying to take care of not only the golf course, but immediate grounds around the course. Hard to believe they would take on more work.
Old 11-14-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unljayhawk View Post
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Nielsen is that you? This is Jason Berry from Drumm Farm. Send me a message and I can help answer any questions you may have. Will you be taking over all 260 homes? How large is your crew and how will you manage your time between the course and villas? I have many questions and would love to help if at all possible. I will message you my phone number.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be happy to take a few of them yards off your hands or bring my 52'' stander X out for you to run around the properties and get a feel for the size and capability of a stander. i run a 36 and 52 for residential stuff, no issues with those sizes.