Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-04-2012, 06:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Stihl 4 mix , the throw away trimmers.

They run great at first until the cam pins wear in the cover and in the engine block and then it's shortblock time. Mine had the equivalent of one years solo use before it self destructed. Run fron Stihl. You would think they would at least use a $2.00 brass bushing in the block........no wait how can you sell new trimmers when things are actually easily repairable? It's pretty sad when the new trimmer is fit for the garbage can and the eight year old Shindaiwa T270 is still is kicking butt.
I am going to drop $25.00 for a new cam and cover and JB weld the block side pin back in, maybe I can buy a year. New short block prices at $155.00 before labor.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch. Even my homeowner husqvarna 123L is still alive after 7 years, boy is that thing light. All these companies need to stop cheating out, I can't even keep the the back pad on my redmax blower. OH! And the 25 year old shindaiwa 500 chainsaw starts first, pull, they don't make em like that anymore...

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 08-04-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was just thinking a couple of days ago, "It has been a long time since a thread bashing ( ) has been posted. Stihl was one of the candidates for the blank. Bingo, now we have one. Just make a yell-out to all the Stihl haters to show up to add their negative stories, most of which are repeats from previous threads.

This is not to say the OP had troubles with the year-old 4-Mix trimmer. There is a list, not very long, for which there are either strong negatives, or strong positives. Stihl is one of the names that brings out both extremes.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using my FS90 for a year and it runs great...

Honda HRC216HXA Commercial 21" Mower
Stihl FS90r
Stihl KM110 with String Trimmer, Articulating Hedge Trimmer, and Pick Tine Cultivator
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl SH56 Shredder Vac
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Old 08-04-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
I was just thinking a couple of days ago, "It has been a long time since a thread bashing ( ) has been posted. Stihl was one of the candidates for the blank. Bingo, now we have one. Just make a yell-out to all the Stihl haters to show up to add their negative stories, most of which are repeats from previous threads.

This is not to say the OP had troubles with the year-old 4-Mix trimmer. There is a list, not very long, for which there are either strong negatives, or strong positives. Stihl is one of the names that brings out both extremes.
Don't worry many of these units don't get much use on them anyway. Actually this is the type of information I am interested in. I can guess that a 4-mix is going to be harder to work on than the old 2 stroke bangers. I got 3 4-mix machines and they constantly in the shop for one kind of problem or another. Mainly difficult to get the units to start when they are hot....always flooding.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is the same thing in MOTO X and people are trying to go back to 2 smokes,everybody finally figured out if you don't need valves why run them? a 2 smoker you just throw a new piston in it and it runs like new again.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Always ran Echo 210-261-265- 280 never ever worked on any of them. And they were run hard. Went to the Stihl FS100RX. Really liked them, fit my right arm really good while holding them up by mtr. And just like the way they felt while running. Did they hold up like the Echoes, nope. After two years they had to have work. Would I buy them again yes just because I liked the way they felt and run for that time. And over two years it isnt that much to keep upgraded with new equipment.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

i like to bash sthil too but the shindy c4,s i bought didnt last long either.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow i must be doing something wrong... Lol. I have a 3 year old 4-mix and a 2 year old 4-mix that dont give me any issues....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuley View Post
Wow i must be doing something wrong... Lol. I have a 3 year old 4-mix and a 2 year old 4-mix that dont give me any issues....
Posted via Mobile Device
All brands run fine for 3 or 4 years but every brand made these days will begin to fail and that is where the big problems can begin. Trying looking at replacing the cam in your units or a main bearing. If you haven't had any failures then your use is very very low.