Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-04-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Exmark deck question

What causes a mower to kick/blow clippings out of the front of the deck? Unless I,m in heavy grass it discharges out the front. I,ve tried to adjust the deck level front and back w/ no success. After about 15 minutes of cutting I,m covered. The inter baffels are in fAir shape. I,m using blades w lifts (oregon heavy duty). I,ve even tried to use two blades (6 total) even worse. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ray
Old 08-04-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleT View Post
What causes a mower to kick/blow clippings out of the front of the deck? Unless I,m in heavy grass it discharges out the front. I,ve tried to adjust the deck level front and back w/ no success. After about 15 minutes of cutting I,m covered. The inter baffels are in fAir shape. I,m using blades w lifts (oregon heavy duty). I,ve even tried to use two blades (6 total) even worse. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Ray
Forgot to add it has a trivantage deck.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

are you bagging, side discharge or mulching?
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

You have to much air moving under the deck. Use a lower lift blade. Or wavy mulch blade
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

I,m side discharging. I,ve tried the double sided blades which has almost no lift the problem was even worse. It's almost like the blades are lower than the deck. I have some older worn blades, the lifts worn down, I,ll try them. For the last couple weeks I've had nothing but new blades on it. Maybe that's why I've noticed it being worse then ever. There is a lot of air movement, it blows out a good two to three feet in front of the deck.
Thanks
Old 08-04-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most decks made today have the front skirt about 1/2"- 3/4" higher than the sides and rear skirting to allow the grass to enter the cutting chamber easier in a more upright position for better cutting. When you have lots of air moving (as you do under a commercial deck), and lots of clippings in the airstream to impede their exit, they start coming out under the front skirting since it is higher than the rest of the skirting. It helps to have the deck pitched correctly, which is usually recommended at 1/4" lower in the front measuring at the blade tips when in a straight front to rear position.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Post a pic of the blades and under your deck. I had 52/23 tri vantage decks plus a bunch of metros and never had a problem til I put the ultra vac on. And then it wasn't that bad.

Never heard of double sided blades.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Most decks made today have the front skirt about 1/2"- 3/4" higher than the sides and rear skirting to allow the grass to enter the cutting chamber easier in a more upright position for better cutting. When you have lots of air moving (as you do under a commercial deck), and lots of clippings in the airstream to impede their exit, they start coming out under the front skirting since it is higher than the rest of the skirting. It helps to have the deck pitched correctly, which is usually recommended at 1/4" lower in the front measuring at the blade tips when in a straight front to rear position.

That deck is the same all the way around. I believe exmarks still are on thier current decks. They are not like the Deeres. There's something else going on with his deck.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Also what time of grass are you cutting? And what's your location?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-04-2012, 11:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yep my tthp has this issue as well. I use high lift blades. Its the worst when cleaning up leaves
Posted via Mobile Device