Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-05-2012, 06:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I want less foclosures and more contract properties

Ive been in the business as an owner for about eight years, When I started
I was cutting REO and BPO homes, in other words I cut forclosed homes, I have some contract homes and businesses, but the majority of my business is bank owned properties. I do about 200 or more of these on a two week schedule, and I only get 20 dollars a piece for them unless they are over an acre or the grass is over a certian length, and then sometimes I still only get the base 20 dollars. I get a good pay check out of this, but i have to travel alot further than I would like, sometimes two hours or more. And if I had 200 contract yards I would be making a whole whole lot more than what I do. I live in a small town and pretty much all the business in the county is taking by two companies, and people seem to get stuck in there ways here and no matter how bad a job they are doing they stick with them. Can someone give me some ideas on this topic, or give me the name of some more REO BPO company that pays more, cause I hear and run into contractors that are making 50 to 90 dollars a cut on these forclosures and it makes me sick to know Im leaving a house looking like a 50 to 90 dollar cut for 20 dollars.
The grass Barber SW Virginia
Old 08-05-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't imagine doing all the work it takes on those yards for $20. I'd probably quit. No offense to you but I couldn't do it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-05-2012, 07:07 PM
LawnSite Member

$20 a cut! It may seem like a nice paycheck, but not when you look at gross earnings. That is way too low! If your product reflects $50 a cut, then cut them loose if they won't pay it. All the time spent with these lawns could be spent on customers that pay what's right
Old 08-05-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

its killing me

yeah its killing me, it used to be 40 a yard, and i was doing very good then and then they cut everyone back, and i barely make it now, I need the name of a company that pays more for the forclosures or a list of them, or some tips on how to take some of this business in my county from a company that does work that is way less in quality than mine,.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thomas Jefferson said if we allow the banks to issue the currency in this country our childrem will wake up homeless, guess what folks we are about there.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow! I just started some foreclosure work and the minimum they pay is $30.00 a mow up to 5000sq. Ft 12" or less. It goes up from there. The worst part is all the pics they require. I could not do it for $20 a mow. Taking the pics, uploading them, reporting on the property...sounds like a losing game to me.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah i know im getting for lack of a better word screwed over on this deal, but until i find another one i have to stick with it, they went down this year from 40 to 20 and they lost almost all there vendors, they told us it would go back up to stick it out, but i dont believe it, someone sitting in an office making the money for nothing, i know that the banks usually issue no less than 80 bucks no matter how small the yard is, and it goes way up from there, but its hard to work with regional banks seperate, but i work in va in the roanoke, blacksburg areas and i have to go way away from there to cut, i just need a name of a reliable company that is contracting them out at a better price, ive applied as vendors for several companies, but some of these companies that advertise on here arent legit, and after you cut for them for 30 days and dont get a check it hurts, ive been there and done that and dont want to have to go through it agian, but i guess its a chance i might have to take.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Hollow Lawn Care View Post
Wow! I just started some foreclosure work and the minimum they pay is $30.00 a mow up to 5000sq. Ft 12" or less. It goes up from there. The worst part is all the pics they require. I could not do it for $20 a mow. Taking the pics, uploading them, reporting on the property...sounds like a losing game to me.
I work for 2 companies 1 is $35 per and the other is $30. Wont go under that no matter what. Keep looking around there are some that pay good.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I think it depends on the area and the number of lawn care people willing to do the work. If the preservation company knows they can get you and 5 others like you to do the work for the pay then their going to stick it to you. I told the one I work for that I am not interested in doing any inside work, and that I won't drop the gate for less than $35.00. That is what they send me. They wanted me to service the areas by county, however in VT the county's are pretty big, I gave them the zip codes in the county I'll work in and won't go any further. It's nice to get work but i am ok without theirs if they don't want to pay my rate.
Old 08-06-2012, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I live in lynchburg I don't do any Bank mowing. The price of living is lower around our area but its not that low. Never mind all the driving. You could make more anywhere else.