Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-05-2012, 11:34 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wild flower ID

Wondering if anyone can ID these wild flowers? Planted from a pack of wild flower seed this spring and this was the only thing that came up, takes the heat well and thrives. Would also like to know if these is seed in the bloom you can save and dry for planting next season? Much like Marigold seed

Notice the yellow blooms, never seem to open till night time.

Has been yellow all summer, now have some red blooms

Thanks in advance

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-06-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you post a picture of the flower when it's open ?
Old 08-06-2012, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
Can you post a picture of the flower when it's open ?
Never does fully open, even at night the red one is about as open as I've seen it

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-07-2012, 12:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Evening Primrose maybe. Have only seen yellow flowers on them tho.
VO
Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO Landscape Design View Post
Evening Primrose maybe. Have only seen yellow flowers on them tho.
VO
Nope, looked that up and it's close but the flower opens all the way. I have not yet seen these opn any more then the last picture of the red one.

Then God created Women
Old 08-07-2012, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nicotiana.....flowering tobacco
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
Nicotiana.....flowering tobacco
That's the closest I've seen yet gunsnroses, still looks like the buds open on Nicotiana?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotiana

http://plants.usda.gov/java/largeIma...ta_003_ahp.tif

The blooms are in a grouping like shown here too
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...wer_(side).JPG

I'm almost convinced except these blooms never open, just took these; a lot look the same even the trunk and the leave shape

Here's the only difference, blooms never open wider then this:

Trunk, very much alike along with leaves

Then God created Women
Old 08-08-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have the old seed pack or trace back to the vendor and see what it is. I am pretty sure it is some type of nicotiana. It may not be worth investigating or saving any seed. I am guessing this is some old heirloom stuff. The current hybrids of flowers are much more superior than the old varieties. For example, the new nicotianas dont need staking or support like yours and flower like crazy with much bigger flower and better colors. Why you never see a flower open is strange. Being an older variety It flower around 6 pm and closes in the am, or too much heat? I dont know but like I said probably not work looking into...If you like nicotiana, their is many superior varieties.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsnroses View Post
Do you have the old seed pack or trace back to the vendor and see what it is. I am pretty sure it is some type of nicotiana. It may not be worth investigating or saving any seed. I am guessing this is some old heirloom stuff. The current hybrids of flowers are much more superior than the old varieties. For example, the new nicotianas dont need staking or support like yours and flower like crazy with much bigger flower and better colors. Why you never see a flower open is strange. Being an older variety It flower around 6 pm and closes in the am, or too much heat? I dont know but like I said probably not work looking into...If you like nicotiana, their is many superior varieties.
Thanks gunsnroses, like you I'm thinking some type of nicotiana also, maybe because its been so hot here reason its not opening. Were expecting a change in weather pattern and lows this weekend in the 60's

Dam, might need a jacket but that would be a welcome change

Maybe then the buds will opn so I'll keep an eye out for a sign.

Like you said, not be worth investigating but I am going to save some seed (which look like mustard seed) and try them next season if not this season too and see what I get.

I wouldn't mind a couple of these in my flowerbeds as this one took the heat very well.

Then God created Women