Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2012, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Wright stander problem????

i recently purchased a wright stander 36 in fixed deck 15 hp kawi. bought it, changed the oil n cleaned the air filter, new spark plugs, and new fuel filter. the mower just hit 750 hours and when i turn on the blades the motor boggs down very low and builds up rpm. also when you operate mower with the blades on it seems as if it is struggling to keep them spinning. for example bogges down in thick grass cut @ 2mph max and around turns and up hills, anything that really puts stress on the mower. with blades not running its seems to be fine or maybe just not as noticeable. any one have a similar problem? suggestions?
Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Run it and take one plug off. Then put it back on. Take the other side off. If one side or the other kills the engine when you take it off its a coil. I'd start there, then maybe check into deck components.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2012, 04:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
Run it and take one plug off. Then put it back on. Take the other side off. If one side or the other kills the engine when you take it off its a coil. I'd start there, then maybe check into deck components.
Posted via Mobile Device
That could also mean a bad valve or compression problem. Do as Jim says first. If the engine does shut off when disconnecting a plug then, it's the oppisite side that has a problem. Put a spark tester on it and run again. If it's showing a strong spark then it is not the coil. Pull the valve cover off and see if the push rods are in place. If the rods are in place see if you can do a compression test on that cylinder. Compare to the oppisite side. If the compression is a bit lower than that's your problem. If not then we must go into the carb.
Good Luck
Old 08-06-2012, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Run some sea foam thru the motor. That stuff works wonders. Always start with the cheapest fixes.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let me give you a warning.. If you broke a rod you need to stop right now and check. If you continue to mess around you might further damage the unit to the point you can't repair it.. Pull both plugs and turn if over by hand and check to be sure each cyclinder is rotate up and down.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have had an issue with the choke being out of adjustment. The mower would not turn high lift blades. I also had a coil problem later that occasionally would make the mower seem like it was running on one cylinder(well it was because the coil was not firing). Keep us updated.

Tim
Old 08-07-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Tried sea foam first did nothing then I though bad gas maybe... Nope. Did as you said n pulled the plug, shocked the **** out of my hand and sure enough it cut out. So next is coils I guess, hopefully this will fix the problem. Thank you-grant
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If it shocked you, you must have a bad covering. Mi.e never shock me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysmlawncare View Post
Tried sea foam first did nothing then I though bad gas maybe... Nope. Did as you said n pulled the plug, shocked the **** out of my hand and sure enough it cut out. So next is coils I guess, hopefully this will fix the problem. Thank you-grant
Posted via Mobile Device
You dont touch it with your hand...Best thing for this is fuse puller pliers.