Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-06-2012, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Customer wants me to use 21" mower on his yard

I've cut this yard for 3 years with a 36", and sometimes with a snapper 28". All of the sudden, the last 3 cuts, he complained that i'm making ruts and shooting grass in the beds. The ground was saturated, and i told him that it was mostly mud stained grass, and if he hosed it, there wouldn't be ruts. The same would happen with a 21. The tires dip down in the mud, and the grass holds it. He told me to cut it. This is a pretty big yard, and will take longer ofcourse, and will do a number on my legs and knee. I just think it's totally unnecessary, but i can't convince him otherwise. He is one of three that i do all at the same time, and i don't want a chain reaction to happen (him bad mouthing me to neighbors). I'm just pissed that i'm going to have to load another mower, wear myself out, and he still may complain. It's almost like something is bothering him, and he's taking it on me.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Charge accordingly!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

36/21=? $ What DL said
Old 08-06-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING View Post
Charge accordingly!
Posted via Mobile Device
was literally about to say the same thing when i saw this thread haa
Stihl and Echo handhelds
Commercial Applicator Certified in 3A and 3B
Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

First thing I tell them is I use the mower best suited for the size yard they have. I am all about customer service but if a customer is dictating what mower I use, that is not an account I want. A customer would not tell a plumber what wrench to use or a carpenter what hammer to use (I realize these are, traditionally, skilled positions that get more respect than the lawn guy) . I could imagine the conversation with my contractor friend after a customer told him to stop using his air tools building the addition and he could only use a manual hammer and manual drill.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with you, i have moved on from customers like that. The catch is that he is next door to 2 other customers; great customers. About charging more; i can tell you right now, he'll laugh at that. That's just how he is. Well, what were the chances of me getting 3 "good" yards in a row?
Old 08-06-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I've cut this yard for 3 years with a 36", and sometimes with a snapper 28". All of the sudden, the last 3 cuts, he complained that i'm making ruts and shooting grass in the beds. The ground was saturated, and i told him that it was mostly mud stained grass, and if he hosed it, there wouldn't be ruts. The same would happen with a 21. The tires dip down in the mud, and the grass holds it. He told me to cut it. This is a pretty big yard, and will take longer ofcourse, and will do a number on my legs and knee. I just think it's totally unnecessary, but i can't convince him otherwise. He is one of three that i do all at the same time, and i don't want a chain reaction to happen (him bad mouthing me to neighbors). I'm just pissed that i'm going to have to load another mower, wear myself out, and he still may complain. It's almost like something is bothering him, and he's taking it on me.
Change your mowing direction every week...that will get rid of the ruts. The customer telling you to use a smaller mower is like going into a pizzeria and telling them to heat up your slice with a regular oven because the pizza oven is to big for 1 slice and will burn it.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, i was offended. I felt my face getting red. The thing is, there are no ruts. The grass simply had mud on it. I tried to tell him that my wide tires are low impact. I should add that they have always had someone separate to do the beds. Before me, his brother in law cut the lawn until he hurt his back, then they were very happy with me. Every once in a while i'll see the flower bed guys, and you can tell that they want to cut the yard. If he wants to go that route, that would be fine with me. It will be a relief, and i'll just concentrate on the other two. So yeah, i'd feel better if he got rid of me, and i din't have to tell him that i'm not interested. We'll see this friday, i guess.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's time to fire the customer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't let the customer tell me what mower I can use.

And if they were to insist in a case like this with other yards near they'll pay dearly for their wishes or leave me alone.