Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
I don't let the customer tell me what mower I can use.
When a customer wants a 21" unit then it is their way or the high way for you. That always comes after you do one wrong thing with the big mower which they probably never liked.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
When a customer wants a 21" unit then it is their way or the high way for you. That always comes after you do one wrong thing with the big mower which they probably never liked.

Most likely but I don't have low rent customers any more either.

Been there done that, got the T shirt.

They'd beach about how it was too big, too loud, too fast etc etc etc.
I'd always tell them that I was a big operator and had to use my fastest machine on every yard so that
I'd be able to cover them all in day light hours.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If the dude is mad about ruts in his yard, just wait until he sees the ugly arse wheel marks the 21" leaves, especially after it's been wet. He'll be glad to have the other mower back on his property after that.

If he still acts like this at that point, tell him adios. Just like others have said, no other business lets the customer tell them which tools they can use to perform their service, so why should you let him dictate that for you now unless he's willing to compensate you for the added time? That's kinda like him saying he only wants the grass trimmed around his trees and bushes with an old pair of hand trimming shears like those used back in the '60's.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 08-06-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, i was wondering if the 21 would have been as bad or worse, because there would have been more tracks, ofcourse. Again, there were no ruts, just mud stained grass. I did an experiment on the side of his house by the ac. I hosed down some grass and then walked over it; it was flat. Well, it all comes down to trying to keep good relations. I'd normally drop this guy quickly, but his friends next door are great customers, they all talk, they have huge houses, etc. I'm still undecided. I don't want him runnin me, but if it goes south, i don't want the other two to start getting sassy.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would do as the rest have said and tell him it will be more money. Try and talk with him again and really explain to him that you have been with him for 3 years now and this has never happen before. Make him realize how wet it is that it is causing the grass to show mud tracks while mowing. You have to be patient with him, but hopefully he will realize this is the wettest it has every been since the time you started mowing for him. Might mention the fact that you are fortunate you are getting a lot of rain as some of us haven't seen any all summer. Tell him your friends in the midwest haven't touched a yard in 5 or 6 weeks. No just kidding, but talk it over with him and if he is reasonable, he will understand. If he isn't well then he insn't worth your time. Problem then is the other 2 customers. Hopefully they will understand your logic. Otherwise there will be some lower baller come and take all 3 and then you are screwed. Good Luck
Old 08-06-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Member

40% to your price on your cut time only. It should take you that in time. Don't bring up wear on your body cuz he does not give a crap and should not and will make you sound like a wimp.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no, no, i don't whine about my ailments to anyone. This guy just makes me feel like i'm going backwards. I really don't want to cut a whole yard with a 21. I'll see where his head's at later this week. I don't want to come off as desperate, which i'm not.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

If it's going to take twice as long to mow it, you will have to pay me twice as much. Simple as that. Why the hell would you mow one lawn in the time it takes to mow two with your main mower without a getting paid for it?

Show up next week with a 72" mower and maybe he will think that 36" was just right
Old 08-07-2012, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Eh, how much longer are we talking. If your on the edge of making money then tell him it will be more if not raise your price next season. Sounds like a losing battle. Maybe explain the place being wet it the problem and reschedule if needed.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

He knows what he is doing, he is taking charge of you is going to be your boss. Grow a pair and tell him, cutting with a 21" is going to be at least double, or you will be cutting with the same mower. If you give in you will be losing your mind every time you cut that yard, don't do it. If he was a man, he would of said " I know it will cost more, but could you use a push mower"