Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2012, 08:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Tell him it will be more to mow it or drop him. I had a similar situation last year. I have 8 yards in one particular neighborhood. On most of them I use my Toro Sr4 on the front and Grandstand is used on the back. The yards are fairly small. This one lady wanted me to push mow the back also. Not a huge deal since I already have the small mower out anyway. The backyard is one of the smaller ones and it took me an extra 7 minutes. Told her an extra 5 bucks and problem was solved. I did tell her during high growth times I would use the bigger mower as it disperses the clippings better but her price would remain 5$ more either way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

More work= More money. If he wont pay the extra amount for using the 21" then ask him how he got where he is by working for free. Whats next, dont use the line trimmer, use sissors?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I try to get along with customers, to a degree, but at this point in my life, I won't even take a new account where I am forced to use a 21. I have two existing accounts where the 21 is required on some portions, and my plan is to drop both of those next year, and not even load a 21 anymore. I may just sell the damned thing, so I won't be tempted to use it.
Old 08-07-2012, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Believe it or not, this woman had it her head that my weedeater didn't edge right, and yes, she got on her hands and knees with the SCISSORS.
I don't carry a 21 either, but i'm not as big of an operation as most guys here. For the customers i have, a 36" does the trick. I go straight into my ford f150, and do all yards with that mower. The price increase is not an option with this guy, even though it's most logical for me. When i went up 5 bucks in 3 years for the neighborhood strip, he stared at me It's down to my mower, or ... i don't know. The more i think about it, i don't want to use the 21 even by some miracle he'd pay more. If i lose the other 2, i'll survive. Sometimes it's very liberating to start fresh. i have a 21 but use it only for a cemetary section, 2 small garden homes, and if i happen to have 2 big mowers broke at the same, which rarely happens.

Last edited by pseudosun; 08-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I try to get along with customers, to a degree, but at this point in my life, I won't even take a new account where I am forced to use a 21. I have two existing accounts where the 21 is required on some portions, and my plan is to drop both of those next year, and not even load a 21 anymore. I may just sell the damned thing, so I won't be tempted to use it.
That's what I did Someone got a great deal on Toro heavy duty commercial with the Honda engine. It was so nice that I didn't want to leave it out in the weather, have it bounce around on the trailer, or risk it being stolen for maybe 15 minutes of work a week. So, it ended up staying in the garage most of the time. I think I figured that mower ended up costing me over $50 an hour to use it, based on what I paid vs. what I sold it for.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

is this thread still open..
Old 08-07-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A 21" mower? What is that? Is it a Stihl 130 with the guard removed?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I once cut 1and1/2 acres with my Snapper 21 in an hour and a half. My 21 is still what I use for backup, and a lot of lake homes it the only thing I can get close to the water due to slope.

Personlly i wouldnt cut any lawn that draws enought water on it for tires to leave mud tracts, its simly too wet and your doing more harm than good.

Ive picked up a couple of small yards this year that have to be cut with a 21" I like them
Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

spent lots of years in past mowing with 21inch mowers and once we got our first skag, it made things so much easier--

I hate to even tell our guys to mow with a small mower-

we get a customer who wants the small lawnmower thing, I trefer them to Just Mowing-good luck with that!--
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me