Washable?
Vented?
Long lasting?
Good Value?
Great Styles? > All YES.

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/men
Old 08-08-2012, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wear a straw hat. It has holes all the way around. I was shocked how much cooler it is wearing it. I never thought it would be cooler to wear a breathable hat but boy was I wrong. I got the hat a TSC. They have the other hats with the flap on them too. I tried one with the strap and mash around the top and it was hot no matter where I was wearing it. It just doesn't breath like a large open hole straw hat. I gave up on what I look like while mowing lawns. As long as I'm staying cooler wearing it, I'm wearing it. You should see me with the hat and ski goggles. LOL
Old 08-08-2012, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
This is where I've gotten my hats from.

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/men/sun-hats

Washable?
Vented?
Long lasting?
Good Value?
Great Styles? > All YES.

http://www.sundayafternoons.com/men

hey man, thanks for the link...

if anything, this thread has presented many viable options....

thanks again...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I wear a straw hat. It has holes all the way around. I was shocked how much cooler it is wearing it. I never thought it would be cooler to wear a breathable hat but boy was I wrong. I got the hat a TSC. They have the other hats with the flap on them too. I tried one with the strap and mash around the top and it was hot no matter where I was wearing it. It just doesn't breath like a large open hole straw hat. I gave up on what I look like while mowing lawns. As long as I'm staying cooler wearing it, I'm wearing it. You should see me with the hat and ski goggles. LOL
i guess the difference in a hat or not is similar to cloud cover.

when out working and the sun goes behind the clouds it's like GOD sent relief... the temps drop what seems to be 15-20 degrees.

that's all i worry about. i am generally a very warm and easily overheated person. a hat can intensify that, thus the need for some type of mesh or straw.

my only worry is something other than straw will still be too warm... i think we will be answering all these questions soon...
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWNS LAWN CARE View Post
i guess the difference in a hat or not is similar to cloud cover.

when out working and the sun goes behind the clouds it's like GOD sent relief... the temps drop what seems to be 15-20 degrees.

that's all i worry about. i am generally a very warm and easily overheated person. a hat can intensify that, thus the need for some type of mesh or straw.

my only worry is something other than straw will still be too warm... i think we will be answering all these questions soon...
That's why I say go with straw. I already tried the mesh cotton hats with the strings on them. They made me sweat even worse. I sweat like Niagara falls when it gets hot. Go to TSC and look at what they have. Try them on. If you "think" you look goofy, just remember WHY you're getting it and it will start to look good on you. I could care less what people think I look like when mowing and wearing a big straw hat. I actually had comments from people I know that said it kinda looks good on me. LOL I tell them it sure feels like the a/c is on when I wear it. Instant coolness. I'm telling you right now, if you sweat heavy, get a straw hat. The mesh hats are going to be hotter trust me, I sweat heavy like you mentioned. I'm just waiting for the day a cop pulls me over and asks why my eyes are totally red so I can tell him to let sweat run in your eyes for a few hours and see if YOUR eyes don't get red and sore. LOL I don't know of any other way to keep the sweat off other then looking like Richard Simmons and that ain't going to happen. hahaha
Old 08-08-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a recon wrap from spec ops and use it under (or without) your favorite hat. Great for wicking sweat away, and wiping down when at the water trough.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A different type of Sweatband

I sweat heavy like you mentioned. I'm just waiting for the day a cop pulls me over and asks why my eyes are totally red so I can tell him to let sweat run in your eyes for a few hours and see if YOUR eyes don't get red and sore. LOL I don't know of any other way to keep the sweat off other then looking like Richard Simmons and that ain't going to happen. hahaha

Check this out. Has anyone have first hand experience with it?

http://www.sweatgutr.com

The anti-Simmons look is to keep the sweat band under the hat.

Old 08-08-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Wish they made eye glasses with little wiper blades on them. I get so danged tired of wiping my glasses off.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Old 08-08-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44DCNF View Post
Get a recon wrap from spec ops and use it under (or without) your favorite hat. Great for wicking sweat away, and wiping down when at the water trough.
hmm, interesting...

thanks for the tip...