Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2012, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Pushing LightLinks or C9?

Hey guys,

I went to the Holidynamics training and convention a couple of weeks ago and had an amazing time but I have one big question for those of you that sell LightLinks.

The LL are really nice and I can imagine a lot of people wanting them but they are a substantially higher cost to the client vs the c9 and will therefore be a harder sell.

Over the past couple seasons, we have installed C9 lighting exclusively as far as roof lighting goes and I am comfortable with that sale so my question comes down to this.

Is it a better strategy to push the LL to all my potentials and then try to downsell to the C9 if the price is way out of reach for them or lead with the C9s and then try to upsell to LL if they want something more extravagant and high end?

This has been really bugging me and I'm just not sure which way to go. With the season being so short, I am trying to avoid pushing too high end a product and wind up with not enough sales because the high pricing scared too many prospects away.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
lead with the C9s and then try to upsell to LL if they want something more extravagant and high end?
I sell the c-9's and upsell the links when someone is looking for something different or unique. I have a pic or 2 in the portfolio of links so they are aware of them....but I dont bring samples with me like I do the other material.

Roughly 20% (off the top of my head) of my customers have light links, the rest are c-9, have a few that we dont even do roof lines on....
Old 08-07-2012, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
I sell the c-9's and upsell the links when someone is looking for something different or unique.
Thank you for responding. That is the way I have been leaning.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
Thank you for responding. That is the way I have been leaning.
just a side note...I know I say "sell" but we are one of the guys on here that use the rental model...just an fyi...
Old 08-08-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with hokie. I ad many a door slammed in my face trying to push the LL. C-9's are all I mention, unless they really say they want something else, I don;t even try.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 08-09-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I remember reading about your problems with the LL sales, Addicted.

I know last year I had a client who said that those other commercial decorators wanted to do way too much to her house. All she wanted was 'just some regular lighting on the roof'.

It wasn't a big job but we installed about 150' of C9 lighting and the other companies had lost a perfectly good sale because they were trying to go for the big design and big sale. That is what I am trying to avoid.

BTW, Hokie, I am considering switching to rental this year as well. I'm not trying to start another discussion on which way is better it just seems to make more sense to me. As far as selling the product, we would wind up breaking it down into product cost, install, removal, storage. Do you do any break down of cost for the client at all when you are using the rental model or is it simply given to them as a grand total?
Old 08-12-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I agree. I have found that when it comes to homes, generally the old addage of less is more = less money = more sales. I actually don't even bother with the LL anymore, sad to say as I think the design is fantastic, but I have had many issues with them coming down in the wind, then of course there is the sale issue. I find it much easier to stay withthe c-9's. Less service calls, and easier sell. I like the old fashioned look personally.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 08-12-2012, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do you guys push LED's?..or incan? I haven't ventured into c9 led's yet..I can't believe it's right around the corner already..I am so busy with everything else ..cheers guys..Looking forward to another great season
Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have historically used strictly the incandescant. I started the switch to LED last year, particularly the m5 conical. Color is much more brilliant, I use the molded one piece, no moisture or dirt in there, so no issue. I actually plugged a set in on February 26 and it has been lit non stop since with no issues.

My reason for the switch, one of the larger accounts we have, all there pieces were 100% when they left the shop. As I was installing there mini's, 35' in the air, in the rain, I was up there with the set, buzz box, light keeper pro and spare bulbs and fuses trying to get everything to work again.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Old 08-15-2012, 12:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Tim

We only do LED except on a few jobs that are older and have not been converted over.

Again, we rent, so we do it for our benefit. The customers don't really seem to care on the rental model as long as we gurantee the job and it looks good. We have had a few request inc because they think all led's still have the blue tint to them.

We could probably save a bunch on material by staying inc but decided to go led hoping to save service calls and have more life out of the lights....

That being said, there is a 5x price difference between inc and led c-9 so you may want to think about doing an all at once conversion....we did and it was painfully expensive...
Posted via Mobile Device