Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-15-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have read studies that show the ave. response rate for flyers/door hangers, is around 1%. So, that is 10 calls/1000 flyers. This does not mean you will get all 10 of those jobs you bid, just that you should average 10 calls.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Flyers have. Been working preety well guys I have handed out about 50 and Been picked up 3 clean ups and 2 maintenance accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i have to agree this is the wrong time of year to look for customers, but you might get a few who are tired of mowing or tired of who they hired.

i started in march by knocking on doors. mostly just yards that needed mowing. for the first month or so i was averaging a YES for every 20-25 knocks... not too bad, although most of those did not turn out to be clients. some had broken mowers, some were under doctors orders to take it easy, etc... but some did stick and are still clients today.

by the time May arrived almost everyone who was hiring was already in bed with someone and my 1 job per 20 knocks went out the window.

my method was business cards and a personal knock and talk.

i already have plans for this winter. i plan to hit every business i can. i am also gonna build and implement a website in the off season.

then come February i plan on mailing out flyers and start knocking on doors again. along with running a craigslist ad and ads in the small town's newspapers that i service.

i currently have about 17 accts and wanna grow that big time, so i plan on a combination of the above to gain more clients..

oh and word of mouth can go a long way. i have gained several clients through referrals. in fact, i just got off the phone with a guy who hired me for a 1 time shot. he used to be in the business and knows a lot of people in his gated community. he asked me for extra business cards and promised to talk me up to his friends and neighbors...
Old 08-15-2012, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreen123 View Post
Flyers have. Been working preety well guys I have handed out about 50 and Been picked up 3 clean ups and 2 maintenance accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats fantastic.

One thing that is wort trying is find a list of people who just moved into ther home...

Also get with your local nursury and see if they will let you display your cards.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

whats the secret? i do lawn apps only, i think its a bad time to start.. but i got 1000 out roughly, mailed alot of them, handed out some. got some info on my truck window that really stands out. i have gotten no response from any of that. I got one call from word of mouth, and it was a crap lead.. crap lawn, the lady wanted something to be sprayed to kill pine trees, and when i couldn't do it she slammed the door in my face.. lol. i have hit up everybody i know with a lawn, or that has a lawn service like trugreen. no takers. I even offered to do apps at cost, just to get out there.. now, if i was really that bad.. i would quit, but have yet to get my foot in a door for people to find out if i really suck or not.

anyhow, the motivation is down now, far, far from giving it up.. its still what i really want to do. Ric, and others were right, its a horrible time to start.. with this economy. i've been hoping within 7 or 8 years i can go full time. i'm thinking in spring i may just offer applications for free to a few customers if they keep a sign in the yard that says something along the lines of "lawn treated by..."

glad its working out for you, what does your flyer look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinggreen123 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Door Hangers have been my most effective means of marketing. Every spring we pass out 4-5 thousand and pick up about 40-50 regular customers each year for the last 3 years. Plus you get the added benefit of markiting in specific target areas. A couple things that matter is doing it at the right time, and having a door hanger that is better than the ones everybody else has from vistaprint or 3000doorhangers.com. Those sites are cost effective and there flyers work, but we really started to see great results when I paid a graphic design artist to design our flyers. I actually had someone tell me they got 3 door hangers that week and called us because of our flyer. thats my 2 cents

Mailers have been are 2nd best method

Truck signs have been 3rd

Last and least have been paid for internet leads
Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here, the only companies who use flyers and door hangers are new start ups. Many of the higher end developments I have been mowing in for years get bombarded with flyers every spring. These people get so many flyers they simply ignore them and throw them out. I always see flyers crammed into my customers' newspaper holder below their mail box. For newer lcos flyers are a necessary evil. Just one of the many tools to get your name out there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-18-2012, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Member

I had great success with them, but that is just me. Last year was my first mowing season and I passed out 2k fliers in late march/early april. I ended up getting 30 weekly clients. This year I only passed out 1K fliers and am up to 62 clients. A lot has to do with quality of the flier and timing. I had a professional advertiser draw up my logo and do the ad.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they work, but the key is to do big numbers, i did 2300 in the middle of july and saw decent results. i still have another 7300 to send out, but not sure where i wanna send them just yet.
1st week in September i have 10,000 going out, then 2nd week in October i have another 10,000 going out, then 3rd week in november i have another 10,000 going out, and these are being sent out by the postal service, so they will be going directly into the mailboxes legally. and that will be one town, next spring i will hit another full town, then closer to summer i'll hit another town until i have the amount of work i want, all while still advertising in the 3 local papers i'm in.