Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Member

RSK, aside from the cost of making the fliers, how much does the direct mailing cost for that amount of fliers? It is a pain to walk around to thousands of homes and I have contemplated going the direct mailing route multiple times.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I have read studies that show the ave. response rate for flyers/door hangers, is around 1%. So, that is 10 calls/1000 flyers. This does not mean you will get all 10 of those jobs you bid, just that you should average 10 calls.
Everyones conversion rates will vary but if you get 1% response and 3% of those converted then for each client you should expect 3000 flyer's per client.

If you cut the flyer's in 1/2 to get two per page @ $0.05 each page then you are at around $75.00

You then have the cost of delivery. If you pay someone it is up toward $0.1 per sheet. If you do it yourself then closer to $0.05.

Now you are at $150.00 per client.

These are just rough estimates on cost and return.

I would rather buy a smaller targeted demographic mailing list and send out a personal letter. My cost per unit goes up, full postage, letter head, Envelop, time to mail merge letter, print and sign. Hand address envelope. I know people are going to open and read a hand addressed letter with regular postage.
I will have the guys pass out flyers in the off season mostly just to give them something to do. They hate it however so I do not force them to do it. They ask about responce knowing it does not work well and laugh.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Those numbers are way off, 3000 flyers per client?!? If we pass out 3000 flyers we will get 20-30 REGULAR customers, varying based on time and location. We have done that the last 3 years without fail with very crappy/generic flyers to really nice custom make flyers. Not saying there arent better ways, just that in my experience, those numbers are inaccurate.

If you are a new company and havent tried door hangers, you definately should so you can test your own marketing methods for yourself and know. Remember two things: 1 It does pay to spend a couple hundred extra bucks and have a nicer flyer made that stands out from what all the other guys are putting out, 2 timing makes a huge difference
Old 08-19-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Set Apart Lawn Care View Post
Those numbers are way off, 3000 flyers per client?!? If we pass out 3000 flyers we will get 20-30 REGULAR customers, varying based on time and location. We have done that the last 3 years without fail with very crappy/generic flyers to really nice custom make flyers. Not saying there arent better ways, just that in my experience, those numbers are inaccurate.

If you are a new company and havent tried door hangers, you definately should so you can test your own marketing methods for yourself and know. Remember two things: 1 It does pay to spend a couple hundred extra bucks and have a nicer flyer made that stands out from what all the other guys are putting out, 2 timing makes a huge difference
If you are getting 1% converstion on Flyers then you are doing very well. Much higher than any advertisement company will tell you to expect to respond much less convert to clients.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reliablelawn View Post
RSK, aside from the cost of making the fliers, how much does the direct mailing cost for that amount of fliers? It is a pain to walk around to thousands of homes and I have contemplated going the direct mailing route multiple times.
14 cents each with the post office, there are cheaper ways to hit every house around me, but they are with a local free paper, which i personally see on a lot of lawns around me, much cheaper to do, but i think the results aren't as good. my buddy has done them with the free paper which still cost 45 dollars per 2500 and they have a 5000 minimum and has seen good results in past years, but i chose every door direct mailing, and i'm still getting calls from my flyers i did in the middle of summer.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

flyers are working guys picked up two more yards yesterday just small 25$ visit yards but they add up
Old 08-19-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you post a low enough price on your flyer people will call.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
If you post a low enough price on your flyer people will call.
i post no prices on my flyers, instead i put an offer. like 2 free snow plowings with weekly mowing contract or something. or free fall clean up with service contract, and that service contract could contain, spring clean, shrub pruning, mulching, weeding, edging, weekly mowing, and snow plowing until the following spring, so it could be quite a big contract big enough to where eating the 50 or 75 dollars it cost to do a fall clean up can be given up, customers love the word FREE! its almost like their eyes are heat seeking missiles and the word free is a fire.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Everyones conversion rates will vary but if you get 1% response and 3% of those converted then for each client you should expect 3000 flyer's per client.

If you cut the flyer's in 1/2 to get two per page @ $0.05 each page then you are at around $75.00

You then have the cost of delivery. If you pay someone it is up toward $0.1 per sheet. If you do it yourself then closer to $0.05.

Now you are at $150.00 per client.

These are just rough estimates on cost and return.

I would rather buy a smaller targeted demographic mailing list and send out a personal letter. My cost per unit goes up, full postage, letter head, Envelop, time to mail merge letter, print and sign. Hand address envelope. I know people are going to open and read a hand addressed letter with regular postage.
I will have the guys pass out flyers in the off season mostly just to give them something to do. They hate it however so I do not force them to do it. They ask about responce knowing it does not work well and laugh.
So you are only closing 1 out of 30 calls driven by 3000 fliers? I'd say the 30 calls is pretty good but a 3% close rate of qualified calls seems extremely low. How do you handle these calls?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Member

calls? I am not calling just simply knocking on the door and saying hi my name is _______ and I own a full service landscape maintenance company, I just picked up a few yards in the area and I am trying to accumulate more here is my flyer. It has been working preety well just need to market more and more often.