Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MensingMowingPlus View Post
Agreed! A couple of weeks ago my fs100rx got stolen and I hadn't trimmed the property yet, didn't have time to go to the stilh dealer so i ran to Home Depot to grab one of the $199 trimmers. I figured it could be a back up once I had time to get a new 100rx. I was wrong, one property was all it took for me to return it. It wouldn't stay running/flooded brand new out of the box. It was an embarrassing piece of equipment.

Why would you buy homeowner stuff when doing commercial work?

My commercial echos get up and go to work every day without issue.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
Echo is busch league garbage.
Agree, no more for me, I started using Echo a couple years ago thinking I'm saving money, I should have stayed with Shindaiwa, I've replaced all the Echo crap and now I can just focus on making coin without some small piece of equipment slowing me down.

Last edited by Bassman; 08-07-2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

I purchase all my echo gear through a private retailer. A small shop. I have had zero problems other than the occasional recoil starter cord breaking from normal wear and tear. My units generally start in one pull for pas and whackers and two for blowers. Dead cold starts on my pas units, no prime one easy yank and im good. So i have a disagreement here. My two cycle is $1.88 per quart havoline 2 cycle oil......no prOblems there either. I rip my guards off and run my line long.....echo has been good to me, grey and orange models. I dont adjust the carbs or mod my units at all. They get pushed hard......and run

Now my agreement, i have 2 cs 400 chainsaws, both have a ton of hours on them, no issues, i also run two cs 341ts....again no issues. My dealer rarely gets stuff he sells in for repair. Yet for some reason the cs400s from the depot end up in for repair all the time. Him and i both swear there is a "b model" at the depot. Maybe thr tolerances are off.....his are 60 bucks more when bought new.....who know what the depot is paying. A homeowner i know used a few gallons of my two cycle mix in a depot echo trimmer and it killed the unit.

Note: a shindawa hedge trimmers is the only unit i had that died and he couldnt get to run ever again. 30+ years of repair work.....no go. Replaced the whole unit, motor and all....that Sob wouldnt ever fire up again. It got so personal he sunk 300 bucks into it trying to prove he could make it run.
4 echo Pas 266 with 2 of everything
3 echo srm 230 whackers
Echo 330t 12" 341t 12", 400 18", 440 16", 550 20", 6000 36". Husky unknown frankenstein 32" that could chip the terminator!
Echo PPT 280
3 echo pb 770t
2 echo pb 755t
4 echo hc 165
2 echo hc 185
And...... 1 1980s snapper hi vac i found in a trash heap that only needed a spark plug.....still running strong with a little duct tape and silly putty!
Old 08-07-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiskell View Post
I purchase all my echo gear through a private retailer. A small shop. I have had zero problems other than the occasional recoil starter cord breaking from normal wear and tear. My units generally start in one pull for pas and whackers and two for blowers. Dead cold starts on my pas units, no prime one easy yank and im good. So i have a disagreement here. My two cycle is $1.88 per quart havoline 2 cycle oil......no prOblems there either. I rip my guards off and run my line long.....echo has been good to me, grey and orange models. I dont adjust the carbs or mod my units at all. They get pushed hard......and run

Now my agreement, i have 2 cs 400 chainsaws, both have a ton of hours on them, no issues, i also run two cs 341ts....again no issues. My dealer rarely gets stuff he sells in for repair. Yet for some reason the cs400s from the depot end up in for repair all the time. Him and i both swear there is a "b model" at the depot. Maybe thr tolerances are off.....his are 60 bucks more when bought new.....who know what the depot is paying. A homeowner i know used a few gallons of my two cycle mix in a depot echo trimmer and it killed the unit.

Note: a shindawa hedge trimmers is the only unit i had that died and he couldnt get to run ever again. 30+ years of repair work.....no go. Replaced the whole unit, motor and all....that Sob wouldnt ever fire up again. It got so personal he sunk 300 bucks into it trying to prove he could make it run.
Hey, fair enough friend. An Echo line trimmer started having major problems in less than 1 year vs Shindaiwa trimmer that is as old as dirt still running strong except for clutch replacement. To each his own I guess.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I still can't figure out how so many have problems with echos. I have only 1 piece of the gray echo left. And have 5 of new Orange. Starts first pull and never bogs or floods. I use cheap ethonal mixed gas and echo oil. I change air filters maybe once a year and never change any of the other filters. Never do anything but put string and gas in it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This sounds like the "Stihl sucks" thread. I switched a couple years ago back to Echo and love them. I have over 20 pieces and no major probs. Dealer support is awesome compared to my closest Stihl guy. Parts seem cheaper too. I still have a BR600 4mix I use at the house that starts first pull. I think some guys are just really hard on their gear.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

A friend of mine is a store manager for a large electronics retailer......its a new england company....not best buy.

I had beers at a local watering hole with him and a rep from a huge tv maker.....anyway, i was told straight from the horses mouth....the tv's we sell to walmart are different than the ones at say, Pc richard and sons. They save money innlittle places...like metal fittings on the expensive models and plastic on the cheaper. The model numbers are the same with a different sku or have a space and the a letter. They save ten bucks and blow them in volume tomthe big box discount stores, i wonder if some of our gear guys do the same
4 echo Pas 266 with 2 of everything
3 echo srm 230 whackers
Echo 330t 12" 341t 12", 400 18", 440 16", 550 20", 6000 36". Husky unknown frankenstein 32" that could chip the terminator!
Echo PPT 280
3 echo pb 770t
2 echo pb 755t
4 echo hc 165
2 echo hc 185
And...... 1 1980s snapper hi vac i found in a trash heap that only needed a spark plug.....still running strong with a little duct tape and silly putty!
Old 08-07-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a echo a buddy brought me from a trash can that he found,it would not start.i dumped the gas out put in fresh an it is now what refer to as "The Screamer" it rocks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Echo switched to orange because it was bought by husqavarna
Old 08-07-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This was last spring. Add another year to what I said in this video.

2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)